944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:37 AM
Mein944
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch?

I have done some searching but cant seem to find the exact same scenario that I have and wanted to see what the rest of the community thinks...

So, after having the car up on jackstands for about 6 months taking things apart and cleaning/repairing things at a slow pace(engine only, I didn't touch any transmission/clutch parts). I finally got her down today and got her out for a spin. I headed down the street, gave it some gas, rounded the corner, let off the gas then got back on it. I was shifting into third when it just started to grind like I missed the gear. So I backed off and tried again, same thing. I slowed down a bit and tried second with the same result. Came to a stop, killed the motor, played with the pedal, moved the gear shift around and started it back up, seems like it wants to go forward, then just grinds like its not in gear.

So my question is... Did the clutch go?

I can put it into gear with the clutch in. Seems to be moving fine with no noticeable difference in the pedal... as soon as I let the clutch out, it grinds like I missed the gear. 1988 NA
Old 11-01-2016, 05:43 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Actual location of sounds under/around a car can be deceiving.

How many miles on the car/clutch? Original rubber center disc? Are both of your half shafts still securely attached? The car exhibits no motion in any gear? Even reverse? No issue/problem shifting through gears with the engine running and the clutch disengaged?

Originally Posted by Mein944
As soon as I let the clutch out, it grinds like I missed the gear.
Sounds like you may have shocked the drivetrain and stripped teeth from the ring and/or pinion.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Mein944
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Actual location of sounds under/around a car can be deceiving.

How many miles on the car/clutch? Original rubber center disc? Are both of your half shafts still securely attached? The car exhibits no motion in any gear? Even reverse? No issue/problem shifting through gears with the engine running and the clutch disengaged?

Sounds like you may have shocked the drivetrain and stripped teeth from the ring and/or pinion.
120k miles on the car, Clutch was replaced at 55k miles. With the clutch in, it will run through all gears just fine. Half shafts are fine, some side to side normal play. it doesn't move in any gear. It feels like it wants to, then grinds like it missed the gear.

When you put the clutch in then let it out. It clunks hard like a metal on metal sound, maybe throwout? or just the rubber puck gone?

The shift into third wasn't hard, so if I stripped the ring/pinion I'd be surprised but it does fit in the relm of things that make that kind of noise. I checked the location of the noise and the clunk is definitely coming from the transmission input side

Last edited by Mein944; 11-01-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Mein944
Cruisin'

Wanted to add on to the original...

Took a video, and the more I get into it, the more im thinking its not the clutch.

I put it up on the jack and put it into first to see if the wheels would rotate and this is what I got... Im thinking its either the clutch completely disintegrated(I got no prior signs of failure so I dont think its that), half shafts or the ring/pinion is shot...

Anyone else have any other ideas?

EDIT: Checked the trans fluid, no signs of metal in the trans...

Last edited by Mein944; 11-01-2016 at 11:54 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-02-2016, 01:16 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like a broken CV joint.
You'll have to get under it to find out.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:15 AM
Mein944
Cruisin'

SOLVED!

Weirdest thing, got under it, poked around for a bit and realized where the sound was coming from, pulled the large plastic cover off the view hole on the housing and saw a joint... Got to thinking and after some ingenuity of getting leverage on the wheels to spin them and found it!

The connection where the torque tube joins the input shaft on the transmission somehow came a little loose... I torqued it a bit and it is staying put. I still have to test drive it a bit to verify that it has been fixed. tried rolling it in place and no movement, tried putting all my weight on it to spin the wheels and noting... I wont be leaving the neighborhood this time until I know its holding haha.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:09 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mein944
The connection where the torque tube joins the input shaft on the transmission somehow came a little loose.
That could certainly be your issue.

Quick Reply: clutch?