Probable battery issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:22 PM
nikki.sullivan42
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probable battery issue...

Hey guys, need some expert advice.

I am the proud owner of an '84 Porsche 944, base model, no turbo and no synthetic oil.

Recently, the car up and died. No warning signs and it has been through the proper maintenance (oil changes, belts, etc.).

Step by step I am going to list what I've already tried with the car and what I've been through with the parts stores I've seen.

First and foremost, note that I am getting battery power. When I turn the key all of my dash, stereo, and exterior lights work just fine. However, the car won't start.
Next tried bypassing the starter. Didn't work the first time, nor the second, then I recharged the battery and tried again. Got it to start up beautifully. Listened for any engine issues or weird sounds and let it run for a minute before turning it off to try again.

After that, bypassing the starter wouldn't work. Took the starter in for testing at O'Reilly's, they said it tested fine and had no issues. Recommended I replace the master solenoid cylinder. This part doesn't exist in my car. O'Reilly's can suck it.

I put the starter back in, took out the battery, and brought that in for testing. Battery is only about 6mo old, and it tested bad. I purchased that at Autozone, so I'm taking that back ASAP to get my warranty.

The endgame question here is... If it isn't my battery, isn't my starter, and isn't my engine, then what's the deal? I would think it wouldn't be my alternator because I should at least see some kind of light flickering or electrical issue.

If my battery is bad, can I still expect to be seeing full lighting and stereo power?

All very strange. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:42 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nikki.sullivan42
Battery is only about 6mo old, and it tested bad.
Bad battery...therein lies your problem. No other operation is more demanding of a battery [e.g. ability to deliver current] than turning the starter to fire the engine. That battery most likely has at least one failed/failing cell.

Originally Posted by nikki.sullivan42
If my battery is bad, can I still expect to be seeing full lighting and stereo power?
Certainly...though, not in all cases.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:57 AM
ledspider
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second waiting for the new battery before you take anymore steps. Autozone may have great prices, but there quality does lack, I have had a stater and battery fail early from Autozone.

Quick Reply: Probable battery issue...