Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Where is the sunroof relay?

Old 10-21-2016, 03:21 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where is the sunroof relay?

Hey folks and I have a quick question here because I have seen conflicting information online about this....

I have reason to believe that my sunroof relay could need replacing on my '84 944 N/A. The retracting arms do not pull out to allow me to pop up the sunroof (but work otherwise) and I've tried a few things, and info from Clarks Garage has me thinking that I should replace the "main sunroof relay."

The problem is that I am not sure where this is located. I read at Clark's that it is "the second relay from the left on the top row of relays" but according to the manual, this is the fuel pump relay. And, there is no sunroof relay listed here...

So does anyone know where this elusive relay might be hiding??? Thanks,
john
Old 10-22-2016, 10:49 AM
ledspider
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All years of 944 have both of there 2 relays right with the motor and guide. It is on the driver side behind the carpet in the trunk.

You can try swapping the 2 relays, that should cause the motor to only work in the opposite direction it did, allowing you to locate a problem fuse.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:13 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Good write up herehttp://944foot2thefloor.blogspot.com...e-944.html?m=1
Old 11-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I got this issue solved, but in a weird way. I removed the entire sunroof motor assembly and broke the plastic piece that connects the motor part to the rail... oops. I fixed this by using a bracket and drilled two small holes to attach bolts to the (now) two plastic parts. Anyway, I put it back in after cleaning it all up. I noticed that the rear limit switches did not seem to be pushed in as the slide came back to the rear as the sunroof closed. I cleaned these, adjusted the position and it still did not reliably contact the switches so the arms would not retract.

I simply removed the limit switches from the rail (one large screw on the bottom) and put a small clamp on them to depress the switches.. The sunroof arms then moved easily into the fully retracted position. So I got the sunroof off for the first time since I got the car, whew!

I am thinking I may have to get a new motor assembly anyway, but at least I can now remove the sunroof, and put it back on so I can raise it normally. Not a perfect solution, but I'll take it for now.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Kirk 944
1st Gear

This is what I've found. The component in question on Clark's troubleshooting ELECT-18 is called out as "sunroof relay" but if you look at the wiring diagram on Pelican, it's actually called a "control unit." Looking at this schematic, it's clear why his instructions are to check for battery voltage at terminals 1 & 2.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/944/ele...84_sunroof.jpg

That being said, I just started my research & I have no idea where the control unit is. My notes also show top row, position II relay to be the fuel pump/DME relay, so no-go there.

There are two relays next to the motor and the Porsche manual (see 944foot2thefloor link) includes a test for both under sunroof troubleshooting. They are downstream of the console switch and again, haven't gotten there yet.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:35 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Schmooey, this is really hard to describe if you have never seen it, but by bypassing the limit switches you may have an issue with the cable (it is actually a long flexible auger) actually being pulled out of the long tube that runs up into the rear headliner and making a pile of cable in the rear quarter panel. Don't worry about this, because when this happens you will have stripped out the two gears up by the sunroof! So my guess is you are "eyeballing" it open and shut. That will work as long as you pay really close attention!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the sunroof relay?