944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Gas smell sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas smell sometimes

Hey folks and I've checked quite a few past threads on this question, but I'm just not sure about one thing, so here goes...

I just filled up the gas tank on my '84 NA and I am now noticing a pretty strong gas smell inside of the car and near the rear. But, this is only when the engine is running, and when it is off, the smell goes away, and I even have it in the garage and there is no smell. So it only seems to be when I'm driving. I did open the hod and smell around, and I am not getting the smell there.

Also, my gas gauge is broken but I filled up the tank and it took far more than it should, so I assumed I am leaking gas, but again, I'm only getting it when driving.

My question is if this is indicative of a cracked tank - which of course is my worst fear. Wounldn't I smell the gas from a cracked tank even if the car is off? Or is it only when it's pressurized when the engine is on? I plan on opening up the filler neck cover this weekend and seeing about the hoses, but I'm just wondering what could be a cause of this.... thanks,
Old 09-22-2016, 04:02 AM
kyle a. w.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-13.htm

Sounds like a fuel sender issue and the gasket that goes along with it. Check out that link for repairs.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Schmooey
Instructor

Hi Kyle and thanks, I took a look at the gasket and it is pretty broken up, so I ordered a new one, plus the missing plastic cover and insulation that apparently covers the sending unit. (My '84 seems to have a good number of missing pieces that I am uncovering one at a time....ugh)

I'll report back when I have this installed, and thanks again,
Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Schmooey
Instructor

Well, I replaced the sender gasket and the gas cap, as well as the missing plastic cover with the cotton (?) pad that seals the cabin from the sender area... and I still have a pretty strong gas smell. So I am going to go back and remove the filler neck housing and see if there is anything obvious there... I sure would hate to drop the tank and find out that it was something that I could have fixed before that has to happen, so I'm going to do everything I can first to see if I can solve this... fingers crossed.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:46 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a plastic tank inside the c pillar above the filler neck that cracks, strange that it only does it when the car is running though. Did you check the lines under the car by the fuel filter? I have seen the crimp connections rusty away where the rubber lines and steel lines meet, causing leakage. Not enough to hit the ground but enough to smell

Quick Reply: Gas smell sometimes