944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Porsche 944 locked up problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:43 PM
abdulb011
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 944 locked up problem

I just reinstalled a motor i swapped in running good into another 944. I tried pushing the clutch, it was very very stiff... I dont know why it would be so stiff. It felt like it wasnt even pushing the fork. But i figure it would get better if i cranked it over. I cranked the engine over without pressing the clutch and car in neutral. It felt like the starter was having a hard time. Then i hit the clutch and all of a sudden the clutch pedal smacked the floor. Tried starting again it wouldnt it was locked up. Spin the engine by hand, it turns one full rev then locks up like something is stoping it. Then i hit the clutch pedal again and then fluid started gushing out of the inspection hole... took the starter and clutch slave out. Starter fine, the clutch slave shaft was sideways with the rubber boot tore and basically out of its socket. I thoght maybe it didnt sit in the cup right but i was. The engine is still just locked up. Can turn it one full rotatjon then it locks up. Turn it the other direction turns full rotation the locks up at the same spot.. figured it was something clutch related. I took the trans off, trying to take the torque tube off but the drive shaft, splined portion, wont come off engine. The torque tube is sliding right off leaving the shaft... what do you think it could be that locked up the motor and drive shaft? Im thinking maybe it got hung up in the pressure plate...
Old 09-18-2016, 09:19 PM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunna now
Old 09-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like some kind of a malfunction of the release bearing/ and or the shift forks. Can you see anything at all with the starter out? Any metal pieces in the bottom of the bellhousing? Strange that the TT would leave the shaft in the clutch..If the angle is wrong and slightly off, the nose of the TT would hang up in the pilot bearing/and or the clutch disc.. You might want to consult VAN in the regular column about this one. You might consider putting a pair of LARGE channel locks on the TT shaft and using them as a pry to ease the driveshaft out of the clutch..It's a bit over an inch in diameter. Hope this helps some.

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 locked up problem