Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 & 944S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-944s-forum-78/)
-   -   Market value of a 1982 European 944 in the US? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-944s-forum/952715-market-value-of-a-1982-european-944-in-the-us.html)

Shervinator 09-07-2016 09:33 PM

Market value of a 1982 European 944 in the US?

Hi guys, I'm new here to the forum. I've been here a lot over the years, but I never made an account until now just because I never owned a Porsche! But now, I might be getting close.

I'm in a position right now where I can buy a 1982 Porsche 944 in Guards/India Red. Nope, that's not a typo – it really is a rare 1982 European model that was imported here in the late '80s. It seems to be in fantastic condition, but I'm hesitant to buy it because I don't know how readily parts and service would available for it in comparison to '83-'89 US-spec models.

I'm also interested in knowing the market value for these 1982 models in the states. From what I have seen, they are few and far between, and I very often see owners of US-spec 944s switching out their bumpers to Euro-spec bumpers to achieve that European look. How coveted would a genuine European model 944 NA be, and how would this reflect in the price?

In other words, let's say you have two cars in front of you: a Guards Red 1983 Porsche 944, and a Guards Red 1982 Porsche 944. Both cars have pretty much the exact same features (with exception to the more powerful motor on the European car, of course), and both cars are mechanically and cosmetically pristine. How much would the '83 go for and how much would the '82 go for?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing your responses!

P.S. There is currently an '82 944 on eBay. Take a look!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222237161408?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI222237161408.N36.S1.R1.TR16

V2Rocket 09-08-2016 12:29 PM

Maybe $500-1000 more than a comparable US model.
There is no issue with "parts availability"...the only things that differentiate the US vs Euro model are the pistons/DME. Everything else about the car is the same...

US-spec cars had O2 sensors and a catalytic converter as well, I suspect your car would have a cat fitted to be US legal now?

Shervinator 09-08-2016 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by V2Rocket (Post 13587945)
There is no issue with "parts availability"...the only things that differentiate the US vs Euro model are the pistons/DME. Everything else about the car is the same...

US-spec cars had O2 sensors and a catalytic converter as well, I suspect your car would have a cat fitted to be US legal now?

Really? That's it? I would have expected a much higher premium on these models. And yes, this one does have a catalytic converter.

V2Rocket 09-08-2016 08:03 PM

Well, the car is 95% identical with different bumpers and pistons/DME fitted.
Bumpers are probably $500 to swap a US car over, pistons/DME another $1000 if someone were so motivated.

But since there is really nothing else different...and the performance gain isn't really *that* much over a US model...there isn't much of a premium aside from a "cool factor".

Rick Ryhal 09-09-2016 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Your right Spencer. The cool factor is what I like the most. Add in the side repeaters and lack of side running lights front and rear coupled with the excellent light weight bumpers and you have a much cleaner and lighter package. Many of the early euro 944's also had manual windows and factory a/c delete. If your lucky enough to find one of these without a sunroof, then you have very lightweight 944 with a few extra ponies under the hood. Any engine mods done at this point are just icing on the cake. The 944 pictured is a 1986 GI bring back from Spain. Someone put a cheap paint job on it in Spain, but for $5,000 I couldn't pass on it.

Shervinator 09-09-2016 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by V2Rocket (Post 13587945)

Originally Posted by Rick Ryhal (Post 13590468)
Your right Spencer. The cool factor is what I like the most. Add in the side repeaters and lack of side running lights front and rear coupled with the excellent light weight bumpers and you have a much cleaner and lighter package. Many of the early euro 944's also had manual windows and factory a/c delete. If your lucky enough to find one of these without a sunroof, then you have very lightweight 944 with a few extra ponies under the hood. Any engine mods done at this point are just icing on the cake. The 944 pictured is a 1986 GI bring back from Spain. Someone put a cheap paint job on it in Spain, but for $5,000 I couldn't pass on it.

Great-looking Porsche, Rick! The one I have in mind looks very similar to that. Do you know what the story is behind that rear valance? I seem to only see them on Euro-spec cars.

Rick Ryhal 09-09-2016 12:12 PM

To be honest, I don't know if it is factory or aftermarket. I have not got a good look under the vehicle since I purchased it. I personally don't like the look of the rear valence and will be removing it at some point. I think it clutters the clean lines of the n/a 944. This car has no cat or o2 sensor and has not been modified aside from the funky paint job it received some time in its past. Did you notice the lack of sunroof? This really appeals to me. It also has the script seats and un-cracked dash. If you like the 944 your looking at I say go for it.

Shervinator 09-09-2016 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Ryhal (Post 13590603)
To be honest, I don't know if it is factory or aftermarket. I have not got a good look under the vehicle since I purchased it. I personally don't like the look of the rear valence and will be removing it at some point. I think it clutters the clean lines of the n/a 944. This car has no cat or o2 sensor and has not been modified aside from the funky paint job it received some time in its past. Did you notice the lack of sunroof? This really appeals to me. It also has the script seats and un-cracked dash. If you like the 944 your looking at I say go for it.

Yeah, I don't like the valance at all either. Somehow, I have my doubts that it was factory since, like you said, it seems to totally interrupt the lines of the car otherwise. Maybe it was made by the same companies that made those garish middle-panel tail light bars that said "944" or "PORSCHE" as if there weren't already enough badges and engravings at the rear of the car to tell you what it was.

Rick Ryhal 09-09-2016 01:54 PM

The ebay car you posted the link to is nice, but way overpriced. N/a's are funny. You see some people pay large amounts for nice ones. At ten grand and over you are in decent 944 turbo territory. I would like to paint mine but I'm afraid to put a lot of money into it. I'll probably just change the door handles and mirrors, since they were painted over, and do a few odds and ends like installing the 16 inch Fuchs wheels I purchase for the car. I'm nuts about these cars and usually go all in. I'm fighting that with this one.