944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

power steer reservoir leak frm return hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 PM
svx604
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steer reservoir leak frm return hose

I replaced the reservoir with a zf brand (from eBay). And replaced the rubber hoses from top of the metal flange as well but the hose connection at reservoir (return side) still leaks a little.
I am an x mechanic and haven't encountered such a stubborn leak from a simple connection.
Basically the new parts replicated the original problem.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:42 PM
svx604
Track Day

Am I the only one that's got a (minor) leak from this location? I'm wanting to fix it 100% so it doesn't dribble down to the sway bar bushings...
Old 08-26-2016, 01:06 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Common problem. Porsche issued a TSB years ago recommending replacing the solid band clamps (fuel line style) with Zebra hose clamps. Of course with the roll edges that won't cut into the hose.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:38 PM
svx604
Track Day

Thanks, but actually I'm already using zebra style clamps right now (though not the style that doesn't cut-I'll look for them online) and they still leak.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:33 AM
mro763
Intermediate

I had the same problem about a year ago. I had a small leak from one of the hoses (small crack) near the clamp. Replaced the reservoir, the hose and still had a small leak on the return side which was weird. I torqued the clamp and made sure the hose was snug on the reservoir entry tube. The leak almost stopped but I still had a small leak. I replaced the other hose and the leak then stopped. Also check all the clamps in the entire power steering system. I found a small leak two weeks ago, where a clamp was missing. You could always put back the original reservoir and see if that makes a difference. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:24 PM
svx604
Track Day

Originally Posted by mro763
I had the same problem about a year ago. I had a small leak from one of the hoses (small crack) near the clamp. Replaced the reservoir, the hose and still had a small leak on the return side which was weird. I torqued the clamp and made sure the hose was snug on the reservoir entry tube. The leak almost stopped but I still had a small leak. I replaced the other hose and the leak then stopped. Also check all the clamps in the entire power steering system. I found a small leak two weeks ago, where a clamp was missing. You could always put back the original reservoir and see if that makes a difference. Good luck.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Which other hose was it that you replaced and any reason why you think that solved the issue? Where were the other clamps missing?
Old 08-27-2016, 04:34 PM
mro763
Intermediate

I replaced the whole power steering return line, which was the one that was originally leaking. Then the second line that goes from the reservoir to the power steering pump started to leak (from the bottom of the reservoir area). The end of the hose looked like it had a small crack and it was swelled up where the clamp goes on. I replaced that one. Make sure the clamps are nice and tight. Then later on I noticed another small leak but didn't know where that was coming from. I put the car on a lift and saw that a clamp to one of the power steering hoses was missing. It was from the power steering return line after the cooling line. I put on the clamp and I have not noticed any leaks. I also noticed that the lines coming from the reservoir have a spiral looking sleeve that may still contain some fluid from the original leak so you may be seeing some left over fluid still dripping that has been caught up in the sleeve. Just make sure to clean it well (break cleaner works). The leaks I had where very minor but annoying. Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:04 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Some folks have trimmed the hose a bit to remove harder material from the end. Not sure whether this would help you.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:03 AM
svx604
Track Day

Just an update, I've replaced the ZF reservoir with an aftermarket that has multiple ridges at the connector, it's completely aluminum, replaced rack, reservoir to pump line, rack low pressure line as well. No leaks, so not sure if the reservoir alone solved the problem.

Quick Reply: power steer reservoir leak frm return hose