944 S purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 PM
rjcp1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 S purchase question

Hi all,

New member here making my first post. I fear I'm asking a question that has been asked and answered many times on this forum, but I promise I have spent some time searching without result. Apologies in advance if I've searched poorly.

I'm a lifelong Porsche fan and dreamer, and finally want to own. I want to buy a fully sorted car and drive it occasionally for a couple of years before I get back into major maintenance. My budget is $11.5K. That puts 944 S2's and Turbo's out of my grasp (and certainly anything 911).

I have found a very low mile '88 944 S (23K miles) in excellent condition with excellent documentation. It's a 2 owner car, and the current owner has addressed all major maintenance issues and an impressively long list of minor ones. He works at a Porsche dealership and all the work has been done there. Many of the the major items (timing belt, water pump, belts, etc) would be fresh replacements with zero miles upon my purchase. I would say the car is near-concours condition and could be concours with some effort (effort that I would not likely undertake).

So my question: Where does the 944 S sit in the "respect zone" of 944 enthusiasts? I know it's not an S2 or a Turbo and the prices reflect that, but I've been struggling to find much in the way of enthusiast feedback on the "S" model. Is it a meaningful improvement over the non-"S"? Does it fall woefully short of the S2? Based on my short description does the price sound like it's in the ballpark?

Thanks to all in advance.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:43 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

YES AND NO:
Is it a meaningful improvement over the non-"S"? YES
Does it fall woefully short of the S2? Not completely, but YES.
Based on my short description does the price sound like it's in the ballpark? NO.

AND IT DEPENDS:
If you are looking for a driving experience (aren't we all) then the Turbo or S2 is the only choice.
As a collectible, I don't think the S will have any significant value more than the 944 since the body style is the same as several previous years.

In my opinion, the more modern styling of the Turbo and S2 will attract more market value. The S looks too much like the other 944's. While the S engine has more horsepower than the 944, the behavior (or grunt) of the S2 over the rev range, and the Turbo's boost at higher revs will give you a lot more excitement over the S.

If you consider modifying the Turbo engine for more than stock power, it is easier and cheaper than any of the other 944 derivatives.

BTW, if you are buying a car to drive, then I would rather have a well cared for higher mileage vehicle, than paying a lot more money for a low mileage one.

If you keep looking, I promise you will find the "right" S2 or Turbo at a great price.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:09 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rjcp1
Based on my short description does the price sound like it's in the ballpark?
Don't know...you didn't list an asking price.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:32 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Quick search, just one example of S2 (I am not associated with or endorsing this vehicle):

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5689978086.html

use search term:
porsche 944 S2 site:craigslist.org
or
porsche 944 turbo site:craigslist.org
Old 08-04-2016, 03:01 AM
rjcp1
Track Day

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Don't know...you didn't list an asking price.
Good point. The asking price is equal to my budget - $11.5K.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:20 PM
rjcp1
Track Day

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
YES AND NO:
Is it a meaningful improvement over the non-"S"? YES
Does it fall woefully short of the S2? Not completely, but YES.
Based on my short description does the price sound like it's in the ballpark? NO.

AND IT DEPENDS:
If you are looking for a driving experience (aren't we all) then the Turbo or S2 is the only choice.
As a collectible, I don't think the S will have any significant value more than the 944 since the body style is the same as several previous years.

In my opinion, the more modern styling of the Turbo and S2 will attract more market value. The S looks too much like the other 944's. While the S engine has more horsepower than the 944, the behavior (or grunt) of the S2 over the rev range, and the Turbo's boost at higher revs will give you a lot more excitement over the S.

If you consider modifying the Turbo engine for more than stock power, it is easier and cheaper than any of the other 944 derivatives.

BTW, if you are buying a car to drive, then I would rather have a well cared for higher mileage vehicle, than paying a lot more money for a low mileage one.

If you keep looking, I promise you will find the "right" S2 or Turbo at a great price.
Thank you for your response, very helpful information. I have to admit this little S has me kind of smitten but you're right, in the end it is about the driving experience. I need to drive an S2.

Does this current BaT auction change your perspective at all, or is this car just a unicorn?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-porsche-944-5/
Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Unicorn.

Interesting, but that's not a car I could drive. Honestly, I wouldn't even consider buying it at less than half the price. It is a collector's car at that price and any use of it is going to cause the value to drop.

Read that the seller drove the car 27 miles during his ownership. Is that what you want? He did as much rebuilding of the car at 3600 miles as would have to be done with a 100K car.

Here's a different way to think about it. Two cars, one with 130K and one with 25K miles. Assuming that they are in reasonable good running condition, which car will you have more fun in? Either one? Spending less on buying the car, but getting to drive it without worrying about anything happening to it, is in my opinion, a better position. And you don't have your hard earned money tied up in a collectible that's pretty but not usable.

And yes, I would love to own a 10K mile 1991 944 S2.
But I wouldn't drive it, and driving is what the Porsche experience is all about.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:41 PM
rjcp1
Track Day

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Unicorn.

Interesting, but that's not a car I could drive. Honestly, I wouldn't even consider buying it at less than half the price. It is a collector's car at that price and any use of it is going to cause the value to drop.

Read that the seller drove the car 27 miles during his ownership. Is that what you want? He did as much rebuilding of the car at 3600 miles as would have to be done with a 100K car.

Here's a different way to think about it. Two cars, one with 130K and one with 25K miles. Assuming that they are in reasonable good running condition, which car will you have more fun in? Either one? Spending less on buying the car, but getting to drive it without worrying about anything happening to it, is in my opinion, a better position. And you don't have your hard earned money tied up in a collectible that's pretty but not usable.

And yes, I would love to own a 10K mile 1991 944 S2.
But I wouldn't drive it, and driving is what the Porsche experience is all about.
@PaulD_944S2, thanks once again for your perspective, truly appreciated. You've convinced me that at the very least I have to drive an S2 and a Turbo before I purchase.

I should have clarified from the beginning that I'm not looking to buy a concours car and leave it in the garage for fear of causing depreciation. I want a sorted car with maintenance up to date so I can enjoy it for a couple of years before I get back into major maintenance expense. In my experience it's cheaper to buy a sorted car than to do the sorting yourself, especially since I don't have much DIY time. So far from what I've seen S2's and Turbo's are out of my grasp in that regard.

However it works out you have me excited to drive the S2 and Turbo.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:02 PM
longrunner1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned both a 1987 944S and a 1991 944S2 at the same time. The S is a good daily driver and yes an improvement over a non S. The S really comes to life at 4k RPM and over but a dog on the lower end. The S2 was by far my favorite good torque all the way thru all the gears and loved that it had the Turbo Nose and a 968 Bridge spoiler. Most important thing you need to do is find one with credible service records showing its up to par with all the important maintenance items, the usual TB/WP service, and the cam chain tensioner inspection and replacement of the pads on these 16 valve Sand S2. Always figure a minimum of 2 - 4 k of after purchase money to spend on things that will need to be done. Especially if you do not wrench it yourself. Oh hey make sure its had a clutch replacement in the 60k mile mark or so.Seems that was always when mine use to blow its nuts, Hope I dint scare you off, but you have to be prepared and do your due diligence when purchasing one . Best of luck with your search.

I know a thing or two cause I have done a thing or two$$$$$$$.

Quick Reply: 944 S purchase question