944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Headlight high beams

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight high beams

Hey Guys,

I have recently developed a headlight issue in my '84 944.... (I got LEDS on order, but haven't installed them yet!) my lights/high beams are stuck on high beam... High beam dash light is lit..... Pulling the stalk.... Seems to do nothing.....

I have had the stearing column apart a couple of times recently..... Doing my odometer repair, and installing a new steering wheel, and ignition switch..... I cleaned my connectors as best I can, but do not notice a "click" when I pull on the stalk. I have pulled it apart several times and I think I reassembled it correctly.

I assume the issues is the high beam switch.... And my only source would be to buy the whole stalk assembly used from eBay, etc?

Any "bright" ideas before I toss money at the problem?

Thanks!
Fred
Old 07-28-2016, 02:10 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually had my wiper stalk apart yesterday, specifically the high beam switch, to install a new steering wheel and because my blinkers and wipers thought they were a team. On the driver side of the main hub (if it's pre 85.5 like mine) is a box that plugs into the smaller of two connectors. It has four clips that hold it on that are easy to pop off. Take the cover off very carefully as it has a lot of little parts. inside there's a white piece of plastic that pivots and locks into two spots (high beams on/off). If I had to guess I would say you lost the spring loaded tip that goes in that piece to lock it in position once the lever's pulled. Note that the high beam switch is on the wiper stalk, not the blinker assembly. I had the exact same problem and was able to find a used one, pull both apart, and rebuild mine with sacrificed parts.

Edit: after reading more carefully, it's probably a little U shaped piece with a small axle on it that fits into the cover I mentioned and I think is what moves the switch from on to off. I don't know of any hack for making something yourself.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Hey Gents,

Think I found my problem..... The high beam/turn indicator assembly and wiper assembly have to be assembled as a unit, they (sorta) snap together.... If you just place them together on the steering wheel shaft.... It is possible that the "hook" on the end of the H.B/T.I. Arm fails to engage the switch (black plastic in pic) or you have my symptoms!

Last edited by 1096369; 07-29-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Well.. I solved one problem.... Headlights work great..... But my turn indicators no longer cancel after a turn..... As Mike described above (thanks for the help Mike!!!) I found this spring and plunger, on my driver side floor.....

I figure it fell out of the "wiper assembly" somehow..... But damn If I can figure out exactly where it lives..... Does anyone have a diagram of this assembly? Don't wanna be like a monkey making love to a foot ball!

Thanks!
Fred
Old 07-29-2016, 10:57 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem Fred. I had the same issue with the hook not engaging the switch, I just forgot to mention it, my bad. I've had the wiper switch completely apart and that's definitely not from it. You want to be looking in the blinker switch. There's a tab on the back of the steering wheel, it moves around in a groove in the top of the blinker switch. When you turn on a blinker, it makes it so that there's something in that groove that the tab hits when you turn the wheel, which cancels the blinkers. I'd guess your plunger there keeps the cancellation tab held in the groove, but I don't even know how the blinker switch comes apart. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Hey Mike....

Thank Ya sir, I played with the cancel mechanism when last I Had it apart.... It seemed to function normally.... Will just live with it for now.... I may pick up a used H.B./T.S. Assembly off eBay hope it solves this issue..... Till then.... I just shut them off myself..... Annoying.....
But not the worst part of my day!

Thanks again!
F.

Quick Reply: Headlight high beams