944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

steering mod question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 03:42 AM
FlyBoy1986
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering mod question

This is a noob question, but Is their any non powered rack and pinion steering racks out there for the 85.5 944 NA? I like non powered steering but using the power steering without the belt seems to be wearing on my steering joints...making it have a little play in the steering. and if so what are the general costs? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 AM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://mwthemachineshop.com/944-power-rack

This is pretty much the only option, good used are getting hard to come by, you could try a Porsche dismantler like :

http://www.lartsporscheparts.net
http://www.20thstreetauto.com
Ebay
Old 06-14-2016, 09:39 AM
FlyBoy1986
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I have a power steering rack from a car that only has 40,000 miles to replace the leaking one that is still installed on the car. I have always liked the feeling of the rack and pinion. instant response to input. but I'm probably going to use power rack I got from the PO till I can tinker more with it. Thanks again for the response.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:48 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Manual racks came on many early 944's, usually 83 & 84. If you can find one in a pick a part, it's an easy grab---just make sure you also get the universal linkage shaft from rack to steering column. It's a different length and you must have it to use the manual rack. There are different tie rod lengths depending on if you have a late offset car but your 85.5 won't need them (most if not all manual racks came on early offset cars.)
The going rate for a used manual rack on pelican, rennlist etc is around $300 with the universal shaft.

I converted many years ago and although I like the feel, I don't like the effort required. It's workable but I can't tell you how many times I've wished to have the power steering back. Furthermore, the feel on the power assist is very nice as Porsche knows how to do these things. i agree the manual has more feel but it's a very minimal difference. And the manual seems more sensitive to alignment meaning that if you run more negative camber or more caster, you'll have a change in feel and effort, usually towards the less enjoyable end of the spectrum. However, the end of leaks and replacing racks is priceless!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:51 AM
FlyBoy1986
Advanced

Thanks superloaf, with that info I will probably put in the power steering rack my buddy gave me when I purchased the car.

Quick Reply: steering mod question