944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Installing Porsche 1984 944 Front Strut Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:14 PM
GaPorsche
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installing Porsche 1984 944 Front Strut Bar

Hey Guys, looking for some input to install a Front Strut Bar on a 1984 Porsche 944. I have looked at a lot of different ones with different comments about them and trying to figure out which one will fit with no adjustments needed?

Also, do you have to remove the four bolts that attach the struts? I was looking at that, how in the world do you get to them? I am just looking for some direction, some say installs in minutes.

thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 03:23 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GaPorsche
Hey Guys, looking for some input to install a Front Strut Bar on a 1984 Porsche 944.
For what purpose...race, track, canyon, or street?

Regardless, you would undoubtedly be better off spending money on a set of performance rubber.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:11 AM
GaPorsche
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks

It is for street use....

Rubber as in tires I assume?

Thanks again
Old 05-30-2016, 05:36 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

On the street...you will utilize very little, if any, performance benefit from a strut bar. If this is for show, bling, shop talk, or you have money to burn, by all means, carry on.

Best [performance] bang for the buck would be summer tires [200-300 tread wear], sport dampers [Bilstein, Koni], thicker sways, and seat time on an autocross course.

If you want to spend more money, consider a limited-slip differential and/or shorter gears.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:01 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree that tires & suspension are probably more important but I was amazed at the improvement in feel and precision that adding a strut bar did for my car. My car is street but I have sticky 17" tires and stiff suspension but I added the bar before many of those mods. It's definitely a worthwhile modification and as these cars get older, the chassis sure aren't getting any stiffer!

The four bolts on the struts where the bar mounts are pressed in under the fender so you usually should have no trouble removing the nuts. I say usually because sometimes they get loose and fall out. In that case you can reach up under the fender and push them back in and hold them while you tighten the nut under the hood. It's a long reach but possible without too much distress. They press in with small splines so they won't rotate and they have no hex on them for a wrench. Most of the time though they just stay pressed in and you don't have to worry about them.

Happy struttin'!

Quick Reply: Installing Porsche 1984 944 Front Strut Bar