944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 project documentation thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 12:46 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 944 porsche
What does the small vacuum line going to the booster do?
Are you talking about the vac line that runs from the check valve, near the booster, to the battery compartment? If so, that supplies vacuum to the canister, next to the battery, for emissions purposes.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:02 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

If the alternator is squealing, either clean the pulleys and belt of any oil, or clean pulleys and replace the belt.

Brushes won't cause squealing, unless the battery has a very low charge, and squealing should go away in a 15-30 seconds after start-up.

AC compressor can also case squealing if it is on, or bad.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:36 PM
944 porsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Are you talking about the vac line that runs from the check valve, near the booster, to the battery compartment? If so, that supplies vacuum to the canister, next to the battery, for emissions purposes.
Thanks. I figured it wasn't that important but wondered if it could have an impact on the working of the brake booster.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:38 PM
944 porsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
If the alternator is squealing, either clean the pulleys and belt of any oil, or clean pulleys and replace the belt.

Brushes won't cause squealing, unless the battery has a very low charge, and squealing should go away in a 15-30 seconds after start-up.

AC compressor can also case squealing if it is on, or bad.
Squealing does only occur for about 15 to 20 seconds after startup. The AC and alternator belt is already tighter than I would want it. Thought the squealing was coming from there so tightened it up a bit without change.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:07 PM
944 porsche
Intermediate

Default 944 project documentation thread

The windows stopped rolling up and down today. Simple fix was a new relay.

The last box of brake parts came in today. I now have a new booster, brake master cylinder, booster check valve and clutch master cylinder while I'm in there. Ordered them all from Parts Geek. Had heard good and bad things about them but their prices were the best that I could find. Not the fastest shipping but look to be quality name brand parts. My car has the girling booster and master cylinder but the prices on those were outrageous. I got the ATE set which should be a direct fit. Hopefully will find time to install this weekend. Until then I'll continue to get a workout with manual brakes.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:34 PM
944 porsche
Intermediate

Started brake system update on Saturday but hit a roadblock when the pin connecting the booster to the pedal would not budge. Wasted two hours on it before just cutting it off. Due to the delay I was not able to finish the project on Saturday. With the brake system disassembled it was not drivable so now I have to wait until I have a few free hours to finish the project. The new booster is in. The steps remaining are to reattach the master cylinder and lines then bleed the system.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:06 AM
OscarDWSancheZ
1st Gear

I'm looking at buying a 1984 NA with 130,000 miles on it. Looks really clean (for VT anyway) and I suspect it will need some love but it's purple and I'm looking forward to it! Glad to see you were able to find parts easily enough, I worry about availability on a 30+ year old car.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 AM
944 porsche
Intermediate

Good luck on the project Oscar.

I have had no issues getting any parts. Everything from sun visor clips to wheel bearings to rebuilt ecu to windshield washer hose to engine sensors are all available.

Sources i have found
1 zims autotechnik (look them up online and call them, great customer service)
2 pelican parts
3 944online
4 ebay
5 local parts stores
Old 07-30-2016, 09:51 PM
944 porsche
Intermediate

Finished the brake overhaul. New brake booster, brake master and hoses.

Booster had been out since i got the car so now i finally get to see how a 944 is supposed to stop!
Attached Images     
Old 08-15-2016, 09:19 PM
944 porsche
Intermediate

New odometer gear today. Since my fuel gauge is out at least I can count the miles now. Also need to be counting the miles to that next timing belt change!
Attached Images     
Old 09-05-2016, 02:19 PM
944 porsche
Intermediate

So my new odometer gear lasted about 1 week. I have yet to dismantle the dash again so can't be sure that it's the same year that failed. Oh well, I'm getting good at opening up the dash.

On a better note, I was able to replace the washer fluid hose running from the tank up to the hood. Now I can clean those pesky bugs off.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:24 PM
944 porsche
Intermediate

Took head unit out to send away for unlock. "Great" anti theft feature has locked the unit down since i didn't have the key disk from the previous owner.
Attached Images   
Old 04-19-2017, 05:49 PM
944 porsche
Intermediate

Got the eclipse head unit back from the repair shop. Works as good as new.

The broken gas gauge finally got to me. Some Diagnostics led me to find out that the sending unit was bad. Pulled it out of the tank to see if it could be cleaned or fixed only to find out that the bottom 2 inches of the unit was completely rusted out. Ordered a new one online and for about two hundred bucks the gauge now works again.

The only system in need of repair at this point is the cruise control but I hardly miss it since it's so fun to drive manually.

Who needs a pickup truck when you have a 944? I picked up several bags of mulch and topsoil the other day and they fit in the back great. Didn't even look like the car was squatting down.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You are doing a great job and this car was lucky you found it.

Kind of reminds me of a young me....

Once took wife and two kids with 4 backpacks and all supplies to live for a few days in back hatch, 300 mile drive to site. Even dusted off an RX7 with fully loaded car in twisties, scenic 7, Arkansas.

Anyways....been there done that, several times.

When it comes time you wanna get rid of those old shrivelled rock guards, use this -

Will melt it away and won't hurt paint.

T
Old 04-23-2017, 04:52 PM
944 porsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 951and944S
You are doing a great job and this car was lucky you found it.

Kind of reminds me of a young me....

Once took wife and two kids with 4 backpacks and all supplies to live for a few days in back hatch, 300 mile drive to site. Even dusted off an RX7 with fully loaded car in twisties, scenic 7, Arkansas.

Anyways....been there done that, several times.

When it comes time you wanna get rid of those old shrivelled rock guards, use this -

Will melt it away and won't hurt paint.

T
Thanks for that advice. I've been looking for a way to remove those without hurting the paint. I've seen some real horror stories online with use of heat guns and scrapers. I'll try to find a can of that stuff.

Quick Reply: 944 project documentation thread