Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

S2 Speed & Reference Sensors?

Old 03-08-2015, 04:33 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
The link below for Clark's Garage will tell you all about the Speed / Reference Sensors on the Bell Housing. If at all possible try to remove the sensor by pulling up and turning at the same time.. If you can remove the sensor you will not have to remove the sensor bracket and thus save the same measurement. Cutting the sensor slot in the Bell Housing is OK IF you plan on going back to replace the Clutch or Rear Main Seal any time soon.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ign-02.htm

Cheers,
Larry
Hey Larry, thanks for taking the time to respond, I sincerely appreciate it.

The problem is I'm working on an S2, so just removing the sensors, which on an S2 is a singular "pulse sender" rather than two "speed" and "reference" sensors, doesn't work. Porsche replaced two sensors with one on the S2, then shielded that sensor against magnetic noise with a tube it rides in that also interferes with removing the clutch housing. As a result, you must remove the sender and its holder holder before attempting to remove the clutch housing. Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200. The holder comes out or you are hosed.

The S2 is, as I'm slowly discovering, a very different and (if I may be so bold) superior car. It was the apex of 944 design. Unfortunately, like all Porsches I've ever owned and worked on, it has it's own unique flaws
Old 03-08-2015, 04:46 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

BTW, I shouldn't have said "flaws", I should have said "challenges". For a complete discussion of how to, fairly easily, remove the sender holder, see:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post12100217

It really isn't hard if you know how to do it, and the penalties of removing the shield are also documented there by Arominus. "Notching" or "Slotting" the clutch housing will absolutely work, and it's to the detriment of the Porsche design team that this wasn't done, however if you understand the procedure in advance (if Porsche had bothered to update the WSM) it's a lot easier to just remove the holder and use the "glued on washer" method to gap it on replacement.

In my opinion, what they should have done was make the sender shield removable. It's a separate part, but it appears to be pressed in.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:17 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dutch944
I can verify this for sure:

The S2 only has one sensor as it has a different flywheel.

The S2 flywheel has a 60/2 toothing vs the 133 starterwheel of the N/A and turbo with the TDC on the flywheel.

So the S2 has 1 sensor and the N/A and turbo have 2 sensors.
Thanks Bas, I can verify your verification. I was scratching my head over that. Since then I've realized the S2 really is a different car; it's a 944, but no one seems to have documented the differences. The parts catalog, and of course members of Rennlist, are my only friends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S2 Speed & Reference Sensors?