944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Steering wheel shakes violently

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 03:18 PM
xXrelichXx
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel shakes violently

I have an 87' 944 and just recently my steering wheel shakes violently when going about 60 mph and the steering wheel turned slightly left. As long as I keep the steering wheel straight or slightly right the shaking stops. Any one have any ideas what it could be and how to fix it?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 PM
mro763
Intermediate

Start with the basics. I would check the tires for even wear, bald spots for any defects. Make sure they are properly balanced, tire pressure is good (proper specs) and check the rims to make sure they are not warped. If that all checks out, check the sway bar and the bushings. Look for worn or torn rubber bushings in the front suspension. Lastly, I would check the front struts and make sure they are in good condition and not leaking. It's most likely a balance, tire, or rim issue. If the shaking occurs at only 60 the most likely issue is that the tires need balanced. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like something let loose in the suspension (tie rod ends, control arms, etc). Doesn't sound like you would do the work yourself, take it someplace you trust for an alignment/inspection and they will find the problem.

If you are DIY, check out the control arms or look for any loose bolts. Need to be up on stands (4, securely) and shake/check.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ben sounds like he's got it right, if it isn't the tires, the balance. I've had a lugnut on my Toyota fall OFF, did the shaking thing, so ALWAYS do an inspection, don't keep driving it, thinking it's going to fix itself!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:27 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

very likely to be ball joints - if so, the situation is quite dangerous and you will want to get right on it. the kits that Travis (rennbay) sells are good and easy to install if the lower suspension arm isn't too badly worn, if it is badly worn, you will need to find new suspension arms and then rebuild them. Check this out promptly, it's not worth dying for.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:23 PM
xXrelichXx
2nd Gear

Thank you for your feedback. After finally having time to work on the car I decided to check the ball joints and found this.
So im going to replace the ball joints and see how that goes.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be a problem for sure!

I had a vibration at the same speed and found a wheel bearing a bit loose...tightened it up and everything was smooth.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shakes violently