electrical shenagans

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:09 AM
shakazulu720
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical shenagans

hello all,

I have been a lurker on this and many other car forums but now I have finally got a porsche so I had to register.
I have just purchased an 84’ 944 n/a and it drives like a dream but as I read somewhere these cars have demons (electrical and mechanical demons) mine electrical, and there are a couple of small problems that I want some help (and expertise) with they are the following,

1. the brights on the left side of the car don’t work, the normal lights work fine as do the right side brights (I don't know if there is a singular for brights or not? bright, high beam, whatever ill ask my english prof. on monday)

2. the rear latches for the hatchback don't work the best, they stick occasionally and one side does not stay latched down unless the key is in the lach. also they don't open electronically, the latter doesn't really matter that much I barely use the trunk anyway, Im thinking just some new grease but I'm not sure

3. The windshield sprayers are non functional, the tubing is crap and the motor appears to be non functional but I haven't taken a multitester to the leads yet, (procrastinators unite… tomorrow)

4. and the windshield wipers are really slow, i don't know if this is normal or not but if there was a way to speed them up that would be great.

5. the drivers side seatbelt is slow in retracting is there any way to fix the inertia real or do I just buy a new one?

thanks all,
shaka
Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

All the little things that happen when you have an older car - thankfully most of them don't bother me
Old 05-17-2014, 04:53 AM
Porsche 944 Kid
AutoX

Originally Posted by shakazulu720
hello all,

I have been a lurker on this and many other car forums but now I have finally got a porsche so I had to register.
I have just purchased an 84’ 944 n/a and it drives like a dream but as I read somewhere these cars have demons (electrical and mechanical demons) mine electrical, and there are a couple of small problems that I want some help (and expertise) with they are the following,

1. the brights on the left side of the car don’t work, the normal lights work fine as do the right side brights (I don't know if there is a singular for brights or not? bright, high beam, whatever ill ask my english prof. on monday)

2. the rear latches for the hatchback don't work the best, they stick occasionally and one side does not stay latched down unless the key is in the lach. also they don't open electronically, the latter doesn't really matter that much I barely use the trunk anyway, Im thinking just some new grease but I'm not sure

3. The windshield sprayers are non functional, the tubing is crap and the motor appears to be non functional but I haven't taken a multitester to the leads yet, (procrastinators unite… tomorrow)

4. and the windshield wipers are really slow, i don't know if this is normal or not but if there was a way to speed them up that would be great.

5. the drivers side seatbelt is slow in retracting is there any way to fix the inertia real or do I just buy a new one?

thanks all,
shaka
Bought a 1984 944. For my first car a few months ago... It is experiencing the exact same problems as yours. No more no less, you listed them. Hah
Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a NEW SEATBELT, for God's sake!

Get a manual, or use online. Took me 12 yrs to track down a short, had an idea WHAT caused it (hacked wires from old alarm, old stereo). It was in FRONT of that, under the hood. Crimpers fixed it.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 PM
shakazulu720
Advanced

just an update-

seatbelt- new belt installed

windshield wiper sprayers- fixed new tube and pump + some rainx

windshield wipers- fixed wire conductivity problem ( replaced wire )
Old 06-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy the new purchase. Luckily you only have small stuff that needed attention.

Quick Reply: electrical shenagans