944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Odd problems with my 83 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Quadracerjr
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd problems with my 83 944

I bought this car with 38000 miles 6 yeas ago when i was 16 just started daily driving it middle of last year. been a great car and have had no big issues for some time.

My 1st big issue i have been having lately is that when it is hot outside like sun beating down on it while parked at work when i go to start it up i turn the key and it does nothing. leave doors open and let interior cool down it starts right up. If i leave the window cracked a little bit during the day when i go to get in it starts right up no problem. What on these cars could be affected by interior temps to cause it not to start. I have no clue as to where to even begin to look. started acting up last month

2nd issue i have been having is on initial start up in the mornings when i back out of the drive way put it in first then go to accelerate it wants to completely stall out. I pump the throttle to get it running again then go and its fine for the rest of the day. No issues stop light to stop light or anything till the next morning does the same thing again. been doing this for about 3 months now.

3rd issue is the car seems to want to run good till about 2900rpm then from there till about 3300-3500 it feels as it has no power and just doesnt want to move when it gets past this point it runs fine but seems to be a issue in every gear my 3000 rpm range is useless. Been doing this since i started driving the car after the timing belt.
When i had the belt done after the old belt broke had a full head job with 8 new valves and also had a full port/polish done to the head. Could this be affecting my mid range power. Also when we were putting it back together the old maf broke and i ordered a used replacement. Could it be this replacement causing the issue also?

Any help on any of these would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3rd issue sounds like the air flow sensor is worn, there is a FAQ on now to readjust the wiper arm to move it from the worn area. The replacement MAF (which is not a MAF, its a vane type flow sensor) is probably the issue - repair the old one or adjust per the FAQ.

2nd issue may be ignition wires/cap/rotor

1st issue might be the ignition switch itself or the central electronics having some oxidized connections.

Quick Reply: Odd problems with my 83 944