Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Front oil seal leak...how bad is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:50 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front oil seal leak...how bad is bad?

A neighbor and I just replaced the timing & camshaft belts, water pump, rollers and sprockets. I made a decision not to replace the seals while the water pump was off because there was no sign of an oil leak prior to doing the work. Of course, I'm leaving off the part where I didn't drive the car for fear of a belt failure. Big mistake. Everything went perfect except for the oil which is now dripping out of the oil seal behind the water pump.

So I can't tell just how much oil I'm losing while driving yet but the under carriage has a coating of oil with a fair number of droplets on the sway bar.
I converted the oil to the heavier Mobil 1 10W 40 with seal conditioner but not expecting any help there.

Any ideas on what I can do to improve my situation short of pulling everything back off to replace the seals? How many of you are driving with leaky cars and where do you draw the line?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:13 PM
undsoweiter
3rd Gear

Curious about this too. Looking at a 90 Cab that appears to have a similar leak.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Yep, this is exactly what my car looks like. It's a shame because the belts/wp replacement went perfectly. I think I'm going to have toto back in there to have any level of satisfaction. Not looking forward to doing the work though. Right now, I'm replacing the convertible top which is no walk in the park either.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 AM
undsoweiter
3rd Gear

I'm curious what you find when you take it back. I'm wondering if it's the oil cooler and not the front main seal...but, in my case I think it is. The timing belt appears wet with oil when looking through the lower timing belt cover (from underneath the car).
Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

there is no oil seal "behind" the water pump. There are four seals on the front of the engine, a main seal, a cam seal and two balance shaft seals - they would not be touched by a belt and water pump change - the most likely cause is that you also changed the oil and it is leaking from the oil filter - clean the engine and see where it is REALLY leaking.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:12 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

William, you sound experienced in this area, I hope you are right. If so, I owe you BIG! I got the 944 in the pic that was in storage for 4 years and I had it for 2 years just driving it once a quarter or so until I could get to the timing/CS belts. During those two years I never saw oil leakage even after driving it. So, yes, I changed the oil filter along with all belts. Then I drove the car every other day or so and noticed considerable oil leakage (plate size in a catch pan after I park it overnight). I was able to ascertain that it only leaked while driving and not while sitting (it didn't leak while parked once I cleaned it). So I cleaned the engine and monitored for any signs of oil. I saw what appeared to be a new, single drip/line dropping directly center to the crank shaft (must have been oil just ready to drip that I didn't get to cleaning). So I assumed it was a crank seal leak. However, that doesn't explain why it never leaked before the belts and WP were replaced.
In any case, I can't wait to get home and really tighten that oil filter and check things out. Man, I don't have that kind of good luck so we'll see. Needless to say, if I had it to do over again, I would have changed the seals along with the belts and WP (note to others out there trying to decide).

If its not the oil filter, ANY other tips, tricks or knowledge of what I can do to help it short of going back in to replacing the seals??

Quick Reply: Front oil seal leak...how bad is bad?