Milkshake all over! 1985.5 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 PM
lina944
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Milkshake all over! 1985.5 944

Hey all-

Just bought a 1985.5 Porsche 944 and have done a ridiculous amount of research on the current problem it is having (I got it for really cheap), but I still need some help!

Symptoms:
- Milkshake in coolant reservoir, oil, oil cap/AOS, intake, pretty much everywhere (See the AOS in last picture)
- Light white smoke from exhaust
- Car starts and runs but right when I firmly press the gas to accelerate, it seems to choke. Had similar problem on previous car and it ended up to be the O2 sensor...same situation here? Read somewhere that it could have something to do with TPS...

Done so far:
- P.O said that he replaced the head gaskets and got it machined .007 (which is why I'm hesitant about doing the head gasket job again)
- Currently removed Oil cooler, AOS and Intake manifold in attempt to find the problem.

What I found:
- Oil cooler seals were completely destroyed (see 3rd picture)
- AOS seal was slightly worn on one, the broken seal in the picture was due to me taking it out with too much force (it wasnt broken before)
- Intake manifold has oil/coolant mixture as well as the MAF and TB

With everything taken apart, I ran into some other stuff in the car that was missing or disconnected. I posted pictures to see if you all can help indicate what the parts are and see where it should go. (pictures 1 & 2) Also, while this is all taken apart, what else should I do? Fuel injectors look pretty good but I decided to change O rings & caps since I lost one tip. Spark plugs look brand new and gaskets on intake manifold look new -- probably because the P.O did the head gasket job. I also went ahead and painted the intake manifold and headers

Also, any advice on how to clean the milkshake mixture from all of the hoses and wherever else it might be? I read to just waste some oil and run the car for a little bit but I'm more concerned with the cooling system.

Let me know what you all think! Any help would be appreciated!

- Lina

Attachment 696512

Attachment 696513

Attachment 696514

Attachment 696515

Attachment 696516

Last edited by lina944; 02-27-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:41 PM
lina944
Advanced

Default more pictures

Here are some pictures of headers, intake manifold and cleaned oil cooler. Enjoy!

Attachment 696517

Attachment 696518

Attachment 696519

Last edited by lina944; 02-27-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

It's not clear to me whether you have fixed
the oil cooler seals or you just found it.

Have you found the source of the milkshake --
I.e. somewhere coolant is intermixing with our oil.

If you found the source -- and want to clean things out -- then yes you can cycle through some oil
and just use water for coolant until it is cleared up.

Or you could pull your intake and clean it and the hose from the AOS to your intake.

If this is a long term care car -- then you might want to consider replacing your rod
and maybe your main bearings -- bearings don't like coolant.

M
Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 PM
lina944
Advanced

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
It's not clear to me whether you have fixed
the oil cooler seals or you just found it.

Have you found the source of the milkshake --
I.e. somewhere coolant is intermixing with our oil.

If you found the source -- and want to clean things out -- then yes you can cycle through some oil
and just use water for coolant until it is cleared up.

Or you could pull your intake and clean it and the hose from the AOS to your intake.

If this is a long term care car -- then you might want to consider replacing your rod
and maybe your main bearings -- bearings don't like coolant.

M
Thanks for the quick response!

I found that the oil cooler seals were bad (as seen in the picture) and so I ordered some new ones and they should be here next week. I was wondering if there is any other possible cause for this, or any way to check other places for where it is mixing? I'm hoping that since the seals were bad that it was in fact the oil cooler. And is there a write up on replacing main bearings? How would I know if they are bad? (Symptoms?)

I am aiming towards longer term car care, as long as it wont bleed me dry at the moment.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Headgasket, oil cooler, cracked block -- that's the only way I can think of that they could intermix.

You've most likely found the culprit.

How long has it been intermixed?

Changing bearings is not for the feint of heart.

You have to pull the oil pan to change the rod bearings.

To change the mains you have to drop the crank which means you have
to drop the cradle. Can be done with engine in -- but not easy.

If it hasn't been sitting too long (maybe someone can chime in how long is too long)
you might be fine just going through a couple flushes of oil.

I might add some detergent like seafoam or something the first go round to try to clean
out the coolant.

Mike
Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Hi Lina, Porsche highly recommends that the Rod Bearings be changed due the inter action between Engine Oil and the Anti-freeze on the bearings. At the link below you'll find some help with the milk-shake.

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/for...num=1294429506

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index4.htm

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 01-19-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 PM
lina944
Advanced

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Hi Lina, Porsche highly recommends that the Rod Bearings be changed due the inter action between Engine Oil and the Anti-freeze on the bearings. At the link below you'll find some help with the milk-shake.

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/for...num=1294429506

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index4.htm

Cheers,
Larry
Larry,

Thanks for the helpful links. As I don't have a cherry picker anymore, how hard would this job be to do on jack stands alone? Also, considering I'm trying to get this car on the road as soon as possible, could I delay changing the rod bearings for now, or is it more beneficial since I already have everything taken apart?

I read somewhere that it takes 20-25 hours and another place that listed 10 hours...so I'm hesitant to start something I can't finish.

- Lina
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

You can do it with jack stands -- but you'll need an engine support bar -- since
you have to drop the cross member but still support the engine.

you can get a cheap one from Harbor Freight.

Quick Reply: Milkshake all over! 1985.5 944