Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Wet passenger floorboards, new leak found!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 AM
PDX-944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wet passenger floorboards, new leak found!

I have searched all over and found many different places people have found their leaks. i was discouraged that i couldnt find mine. finally i did, and i feel like i should post it just in case someone else has the same problem! this isnt a place i have seen anyone else mention!

I figured i would start my testing, and move upwards. so first i pulled back the carpet enough to see the bottom of the firewall. its a pain to do!
i had my friend pour water around the cruise control motor, OUTSIDE of the battery tray area, but near where the battery tray would drain, while i watched for water inside. guess who got lucky?

here is the culprit. it was a tiny looking crack. hard to see. but it let a shocking amount of water through! i mean i have been getting puddles. and he poured just a few cap fulls of water and i got a nice stream inside. bizarre to me.. i could only watch as it accumulated at the bottom of the firewall inside so i couldnt see up where it was actually coming through. but heres the spot:

below the drain (i had already chiseled away the old stuff in this one):

in the corner of the flat spot, level with the exhaust manifold, you can kind of see the crack right in the center of the corner

now chiseled away, theres a nice 3/4" square hole underneath that IS supposed to be there, but should be covered up and not visible. water goes in, and into the car!

fiberglassed over it:

then spray-on truckbed lined over it. no pic of that. will report back after the next rain!!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you found the culprit!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 PM
PDX-944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rather unfortunately, i came out to a puddle this morning again.
I KNOW im getting close.
I wasnt pouring water into the tray even and i could see it coming inside when i tested this area before. so it has to be near there. im going to have to inspect further down the seam when i get back to my shop! ill post up what i find!
Old 02-03-2015, 01:30 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks! I'll check out my early 944 resto project, and check this area out more thoroughly... and it was coming INTO the car from there? or was it coming OUT of the car at that point? looks like you solved the problem though.why did you fiberglass it instead of using silicone sealant? Because it's structural ? How is the inside of the frame rail? jus wonderin...Thanks, Tiger 03447
Old 02-09-2015, 05:43 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Do a search on 944online.com. Some leaks have been solved over there involving leaking body seams in the area you are having problems with.

Quick Reply: Wet passenger floorboards, new leak found!