944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Power seat switch broken?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power seat switch broken?

While vacuuming my '89 NA last week, I somehow knocked the switch cover (the plastic part with the "Up" and "Down" arrows off one of the two switches on my driver's power seat. I'm pretty sure that I snapped a plastic part off because a) the switch plate/cover won't snap back into the switch body and b) I can see a white plastic piece lying flat on the inside of the switch "body."

The only thing I have come up with so far is to find a replacement switch. They are obscenely ($200) expensive on eBay. There are a couple of used one (see pic below) that I might get lucky with.

Note: I don't need any of the extra parts in the pic-the only thing that is broken is one of the face-plate "covers" on the switch.

I thought I would check here to see if I might be overlooking a simpler, cheaper fix?

TIA.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super Glue to the rescue!!!! Try and get Industrial Strength it should work on the switch plastic.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That might work....if there's some way to take the switch body apart. But it looks sealed to me. Or maybe I'll just super-glue the cover on--I don't really need to actually work. Seat is adjusted the way I like it now.

STP

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Super Glue to the rescue!!!! Try and get Industrial Strength it should work on the switch plastic.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Andyzboy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post here, I might be able to help though. Recently inherited my grandpas 944, one switch was broken like yours I think. Ended up drilling a small hole through the broken plate and into the switch rocker (or whatever you'd call it) and using a tiny screw to attach it. I can post a picture of it, I don't think super glue would cut it as the contact point is tiny. Since then both switches decided to fail electronically, replaced them with some generic ones I got online. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Power seat switch broken?