Help! Buying a 944!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Dream Of 944
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Buying a 944!

Hi!
I am a car lover and a amature track driver. I have always owned new japanese cars, but my sites have always been set on 944 as long as I have been driving.
But after reading posts on the cost of upkeep and race prepping I am a liitle discouraged whether I will ever be able to own one. I know the 944's aren't getting any younger so I would like to act sooner rather than later.
My question is when looking: where should I look (private or elsewhere), what should I look for (944 qwirks to look out for), what price range (years, condition, and mods), and any other info you guys can help me on.
I am a female and I know my car stuff pretty well. I'm just not comfortable in the buying of a used car and I don't want to be "man-handled" into a bad deal (no offence)
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Kylie
Old 01-23-2002, 01:22 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a great primer on the 944 series: 944 FAQ

Peter Morgans "Original 924/944/968" is also an excellent resource for the new buyer - lots of good photographs as well as good technical infromation.

There is a lot of difference between the different 944's and there is a big price difference as well, but they usually go for $5k to 15k. For track use, I would go for a Turbo or an S2 because they have better brakes and stronger transmissions - but they cost more.

While there are many shared problems across the model line, each model has its own set of issues.

A better idea of which 944 model you wish to pursue would be helpful. Perhaps the above resources can help you narrow in on a specific model.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:50 PM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

"Buy the best '44 that you can afford" is the usual advice. Unfortunately a newbie to Porsche has no point of reference as to what "the best" is. Michael's post has some good advice, research the cars so that you know the difference between an '83 to early '85 and a later NA (naturally aspirated) car. Look into the Turbo and determine if you want/need that kind of power. The turbo has it's own little sub-culture and there are some differences in the model years of those as well. For that matter look into the '87-'88 924S, a 944 motor in a 924 body shell. Go on the PCA web site (www.PCA.org), find the closest region and attend a meeting. You'll find a great group of people that love these cars and more than likely some leads on a good car.

Best of Luck
Al Pyatak
Program Chair Nothern New Jersey Region PCA
1985/1 944 (early car)
1987 924S http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/VIR.JPG
1987 951 (944 turbo)

Quick Reply: Help! Buying a 944!