944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Under-drive Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 12:58 AM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Under-drive Pulleys

I was reading the latest copy of Excellence, and I saw advertised under-drive pulleys for the 944, by a company called Broadfoot Racing.

Has anyone done this mod, heard about this mod, or had any experience with Broadfoot racing?

I've always heard of under-drive pulleys as a way to get some more hp and torque (and the engine revs a bit quicker) on American muscle cars/V-8 cars (i.e. Camaro, Firebird, Mustang), but not on a 944.

I'm guessing that it would work as well, but I wonder how much extra of a benefit it really is, and at what expense (i.e. the alternator, power steering and A/C compressor all would spin a bit slower... if you installed all three pulleys that is...)? I think the total cost of all three pulleys was about $300.

Thoughts? BTDT?

Thanks.

Jim
Old 01-20-2002, 04:15 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
Question

JIM,

Don't quote me on this, since I may be wrong. I thought I saw a blurb somewhere that stated S2's shouldn't use the underdrive setup due the the balance shaft. Could have been in Pano or Excelence.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:50 PM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by craig001:
<STRONG>JIM,

Don't quote me on this, since I may be wrong. I thought I saw a blurb somewhere that stated S2's shouldn't use the underdrive setup due the the balance shaft. Could have been in Pano or Excelence.</STRONG>
That may very well be true, since the Broadfoot ad didn't mention S2s, but just about every other 944 model. It did mention 944S however. I would guess that if it was okay for the S, it would be okay for the S2 as well.

There are a few other responses on the Pelican Parts board, and most seem to weigh "against" rather than "for" the mod.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim

Quick Reply: Under-drive Pulleys