Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Crankshaft front oil seal (kinda urgent)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 01:13 AM
Zermatt944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Crankshaft front oil seal (kinda urgent)

Hey all. I am replacing the oil seals on the front of my '83 944. I replaced the balance shaft seals, and just installed the camshaft seals after a 2 week long fight with the bolt holding the camshaft gear on. But the crankshaft seal I'm not quite sure about as I can't find any info on replacing it. Do I just pop the woodruff key out and pry out the seal and then just put the new one in? Or is it a more in depth procedure to replace this seal? Any quick advice would be greatly appreciated as I HAVE to get this car back together this weekend (I haven't driven it since Christmas). Thanks!
Old 01-19-2002, 02:10 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

YOur just about right, pull remove the crank pully assembly, and the key. THere you'll find a washer, remove that, replace the rubber o ring around the crank and pry the brownish orange seal away from the crank and oil pump and replace with a new one. Job well done!
Old 01-19-2002, 05:43 AM
Es3L
Instructor

do it right, 2 rebuilds within 2 months wasnt to cheap and took 3 weekends away.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:15 PM
Zermatt944
Intermediate

Hey, thanks for the advice. I actually didn't get the car back together, but am close.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:50 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

I tell you, I bought an air compressor and a couple air tools a year or so ago and they've paid for themselves many times over. An impact wrench will spin a crank pulley bolt out in a couple seconds. I'm done struggling with breaker bars and pipe extensions on stuff like that. I actually broke the flywheel lock removing a crank pulley bolt on a friend's 928S4 (not using an air wrench - using a breaker bar and pipe).

If you're this far, I recommend taking off your oil pump. The crank seal will come off the crank with the oil pump, you can then tap it gently out, clean up the oil pump, and re-seal it onto the block (Loctite 574). Peace of mind knowing the oil pump is in good shape and not leaking.

Bryan

Quick Reply: Crankshaft front oil seal (kinda urgent)