944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Speakers in S2 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 11:47 PM
Joe B
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Speakers in S2 Cabriolet

Greetings. I'm looking to replace the front, perhaps rear, speakers in my 1991 S2 Cabriolet. Any recommendations? I'm keeping the original Blaupunkt Stuttgart radio, although I know I could upgrade for just a few hundred dollars. Call me sentimental. Actually, I don't need an A**-kickin' stereo, because I want to enjoy driving, not listening.(I can do that in the quiet of my basement) Unfortunately, my front speakers are dried up to the point that they won't function well enough to be heard above the din. I haven't looked at the rears yet.
I'm not opposed to installing a small amp, but I really don't want to "build" a sound system. Any suggetions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 03-09-2002, 12:44 AM
Melchior
Pro

Polk 4X6's. Sound great for the price and require no amp. They will seem like they don't fit but you just have to widen the hole about 1/8th inch on either side by using a large screwdriver and hammer to bend the metal inward slightly. Pretty much have to use that technique unless you find a 4X6 in a metric.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:52 PM
MadMax
Pro

Joe,
Pioneer makes a 4x6 plate speaker that will fit into the rear speaker area of the S2 Cab. It a little nicer than the average 4x6 speaker as you get a separate 4" speaker and a separate tweeter. Best Buy carries the speaker. I can't remember the model number but the woofer is gold color. They fit with no modification and sound very good. (they don't require an amp)

Regards,
Max

Quick Reply: Speakers in S2 Cabriolet