Monza exhaust tip(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 04:32 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Monza exhaust tip(s)?

All

While messing around in Pep Boys, I noticed a Monza dual exhaust tip for sale. It caught my eye for three reasons:

1. It was dual tip, and I've always wanted to see what that would look like on my 85.5
2. It was nice looking - The tips were around 2.5"
3. I know a lot of 914 guys and gals who use Monza products, so I wasn't that afraid

My car has a Bursh muffler that is currently without a tip, and I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with Monza before. The box said something about how it contained "miniature glass packs" to "amplify sound." This could be very, very bad. I want to stay away from a Honda-esque buzz here - so I'm looking from some first hand accounts.
Also, the inner-lip of the tips were yellow (part of Monza's "colors" I assume)and the sides featured their crest (also yellow and black.) This drew some quizzical looks from girlfriend (her exact words: "The minute someone says rice, you're going to be pulling that thing off of there..")
Anyone have any comments?

Thanks

Micah
Old 03-03-2002, 10:16 AM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Micah; I don't know nuthin 'bout the exhaust tip,,,but that girl sure knows you!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 01:36 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by MicahJones:
<strong>All

While messing around in Pep Boys, I noticed a Monza dual exhaust tip for sale.

&lt;SNIP&gt;

Anyone have any comments?

Thanks

Micah</strong><hr></blockquote>

A few years ago, I installed a Pacesetter Monza muffler and tip (it was a combo unit, where the tip was already welded onto it) on my '92 Audi 100S. At first, I wasn't too thrilled about the yellow inside the tips, but believe me, it didn't last very long like that (i.e. dirt, exhaust residue, rust, etc.).

Here are a couple of pics when it was first installed:

The muffler and tip is still on the car, after at least four years. IMHO, that's pretty darn good. The only part that has rusted away is the mini glass-pack silencer part within the tip i.e. the steel wool that is within the yellow portion of the tip is no longer there. What that means is that it is a bit louder than it was when originally installed. Not a lot louder, and certainly not obnoxious.

The sound is not buzzy like some ricey mufflers out there nowadays. It's just the opposite, it is rather deep and not at all tinny-sounding. IMHO, you'd be happy with it.

IMHO, it was a worthwhile upgrade, considering that at the time (and still to this day, pretty much), there really weren't many options for "sport" mufflers for these cars. There were a few brands available, but they were priced at about $800 or more (for just the muffler... not even a cat-back system!!). The Monza unit cost me about $75 (from Pep Boys), and it seemed to help the car breath a bit better, and the exhaust note was a definite improvement over the OEM muffler.

The previous owner of my 1973 914 (which I have since replaced with my S2) had installed a Monza exhaust as well, with SSi heat exchangers. It did not sound buzzy at all on that car either.

Hope that helps.

Jim
Old 03-04-2002, 10:14 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Jim

I'm doing it, baby! You're right about the yellow as well... I could always paint it black too... Believe it or not, I suggested that to my gf, and got another quizzical look! Woo hoo hoo!

Thanks!

Micah
Old 03-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

BTW, I'll try and throw up some pics as soon as I get it on there.

Thanks!

Micah
Old 03-04-2002, 11:31 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by MicahJones:
<strong>BTW, I'll try and throw up some pics as soon as I get it on there.

Thanks!

Micah</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great!! Show us those pics, and let us know how the install went, and what it sounds like.

Jim

Quick Reply: Monza exhaust tip(s)?