power steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 08:39 PM
e.t.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question power steering

a silly question:
i have an '83 944(made in early '82) and was wondering if this version has power steering. i know that sounds a little strange, but i've only had the vehicle about 3 weeks. i hadn't thought about it much until someone else (that is used to power steering)took it for a spin and complained how hard it is to steer. i poked around under the hood a little, but with all the hoses and the cover on the front of the engine, there didn't seem to be one in any of the obvious places.

thanks for any insight
Old 04-15-2002, 03:21 AM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would assume your car would have power steering, i'm not exactly sure where the pump is though. The fact that he commented on the stiffness of the steering most likely comes from the fact that he is used to driving newer cars that have severely overboosted power steering and offer no road feedback.

The steering on the 944 is quite stiff, but that is a good thing as the car was made for performance driving and you can't drive a car hard without getting good feedback from everything, most importantly the steering (pardon the run-on).
Old 04-15-2002, 09:49 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to Michael Cottons “Porsche 924, 944 & 968”, power steering became an option on 1984 and became standard in 1985.

If you want a visual, the power steering reservoir is located on the passenger side of the car mounted to the body near the front of the engine. It is a brown plastic container about the size of a coffee cup with two hoses coming out the bottom and a big black cap on top.

Quick Reply: power steering