Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

i think tranny is kaputt, help?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 12:28 AM
craziness
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face i think tranny is kaputt, help?!

hi everyone, im fairly new to this site. i have a '86 944na with about 135k on the odometer, and i have some questions that im hoping someone can help me out with. last week something in the back of my car broke. at first i thought it was a cv joint, but then i realized that it might be the transmission. it makes a loud clanking noise, and amazingly i can actually get the car to crawl very slowly. what does this mean? if the tranny was completely junked, then why would it still work? is there a common reason why they break? i read about the possibility of the ring and pinions breaking. any ideas? if i needed to replace the tranny, what kind of prices would i be looking at for say a "na" or "s2" tranny? i would appreciate any responses.. .....help

Sam 86 944 guards red/ black

PS: I live about 1/2 hour from Hershey, and the swap meet rocks! Last year i showed up at about noon and i couldnt get into the "Porsche Only" parking lot. Apparently, the officials tried to count the total number of Porsches at the show and they lost count somewhere around 8 or 9 hundred! Amazing
Old 04-10-2002, 07:37 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loud clancking noise, ahhhh....

Looks like CV joints at first
But could be the ring / pigneon in the diff gear.
Also:
- Clutch (you can still have the rubber centered one), rubber gone then.
- Tranny mounts gone

The tranny will probably still shift with one of the above problems, so the car would be able to run.
Your remark about crawing is puzzling, was there no more power or what?
Engine still revving up without the speed would indicate a clutch problem.
TakeCare

Quick Reply: i think tranny is kaputt, help?!