944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Removal of window from drivers side door to allow access to door handle

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 11:06 PM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Removal of window from drivers side door to allow access to door handle

This afternoon I was attempting to discover exactly what was wrong with the drivers side door locking mechanism on my 91 944 S2. The symptoms it was having was that unlocking the door with the key would unlock the door so that it could be opened, but the alarm would not be disarmed.

I was trying to get to the outside door handle to see if perhaps the microswitch needed cleaning of some sort. When trying to do this i ran into problems with the window guide rails blocking me from the mechanism. I could get the handle partially off, but not enough to get anything useful done with it.

I have a set of 944 shop manuals and they mention removal of both the window and the window guide rails to acess the door handle. What i was wondering was if the guide rails are taken off to allow the window to come out, or if there is some sort of other trick about it that I am just missing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:31 PM
MadMax
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris,
Take a moment and look inside your door at the electric lock actuator (solenoid). There should be a little plastic arm attached to it. Is it attached? Do both your doors make that characteristic thunk as you turn the key? Are both doors unlocking when you lock/unlock from either door? The answers to these questions will help you find out what the deal is. Also, since you have the factory manuals. Go to the central locking trouble shooting section and run the test on the central locking control unit (it is under the dash attached to the steering column).

Good luck.

Max

Quick Reply: Removal of window from drivers side door to allow access to door handle