944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

How to tell if wheels fit your car

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 11:35 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How to tell if wheels fit your car

I'm trying out some used wheels from another Porsche owner to see if they'll fit my car properly. They're Milli Migila Cup 1 wheels with Kumho track tires on them. There's no tread left on the tires and I'm told there's around 60 minutes of rubber left on them.

I put them on my car and noticed that I needed to torque the front two wheels down several times to get all the lug nuts to settle properly. Each time I tightened a few lug nut, another one would turn another quarter inch before the wrench clicked that it was at the right torque. After five or six rounds of this, it seemed all set. My original wheels, and the back wheels of this set, all torque down easily with only one round of tightening them to spec. Does this mean anything?

I drive the car with the used wheels for around 30 minutes, first on the freeway and then on a windy road back toward home. At 45 mph, I started feeling some rather strong vibration as with wheels that are out of balance. Speeding up to about 60 mph made it get much worse, but not linearly. Sometimes the vibration became light at a speed between 45 and 55 mph, but when I braked and sped up again it was worse again.

So, what could I look for to see if this is a problem with tire balance versus a fit on my car? Are there any indicators that might tell me one thing or another about them?

thanks,

Bryan
Old 11-13-2001, 07:21 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't consider it normal to have the wheel not seat perfectly on the first fit... assuming the rotor/hubs were not too hot (I've had problems at the track fitting my phone dials on hot rotors... the tolerance is very close sometimes)

The way I like to put on wheels is with a knee on the center cap and using a drill (I use a Dewalt on the #12 torque setting for seating the lugs), then run around with the torque wrench... I rarely get more than a hlf turn after that.

Might have a look at the mating surface... maybe even rough it up a bit with sandpaper. Also check the female part of the mating where the hubcap pokes thru... could be dinged.

More than likely, since they are very *used* tires, the balance is off... or maybe the tires are a bit flat-spotted.

Good Luck!
Old 11-13-2001, 07:24 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Suggestion of good person for tire work on your car: Rick Higgins Texaco & Tire Express. He is a Dunlop dealer but he will handle tires from places like Tire Rack (I've even had tires shipped there for him to do). Also he is careful and skilled at mounting wide low profile tires on wide alloy wheels.

2) I would guess that the problem is tire related but it could be a bent or out of round wheel too. A lot can be told when having the wheels balanced so that may be a worthy investment if you're thinking of buying the set.

3) I would guess that the torquing was just in the way you were installing the nuts although maybe the stud was going further into the nut (Mille Miglia wheels thinner?) and you were experiencing crud in the bottom of the nut. If the wheels/tires are the same size you could switch front and rear. If you have some different lug nuts you try them although if you got everything tight and it stayed that way you are probably OK. If you take the nuts off and put them on again, it may not happen.

4) It sounds like you're getting ready for some serious play in the spring. I hear there will be asphalt down on a new track near Glenwood that will be ready to open next season. Maybe we won't have to drive so long for vehicular recreation!!!
Old 11-13-2001, 07:28 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Opps forgot to mention Rick is at Merle Hay and Douglas in Des Moines.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:30 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Thanks, everyone, for the help!

I agree completely about Rick Higgins. He did the tires for my in the past as well as suspension work on my wife's car. Excellent, careful work with clear explanations why and how everything was being done.

I think I'll trailer the wheels off to him this weekend and see what he thinks.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:49 PM
ITBracer45
2nd Gear

Bryan,

Are the wheels you are buying "hub" centric or "lug" centric. If they are lug, the reason you keep having to tighten them down is because you are not seated snug on the hub, and consiquently are pulling the rim back and forth as you sinch the lugs into each lug pocket which causes the rim to not be perfectly center on the hub. and causes the rim/tire to vibrate. This might be something to look at. Good luck

Chris

Quick Reply: How to tell if wheels fit your car