Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Which new rotors/pads for a 91 944S2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 11:24 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Which new rotors/pads for a 91 944S2?

Well, after a long saga of trying to get a shop to fix the brakes on my 944S2 I'm giving up with them. They replaced the calipers in the front and the rotors and pads on all four wheels. The calipers were factory Porsche calipers, but they won't tell me what pads and rotors they used.

Currently, the front and rear brakes squeal maybe 25% of the time. Braking is substantially degraded, meaning it now takes me about twice as much distance to stop as it did before the shop working on my car. The front brakes pulse during slow braking and shudder violently during harder braking or from higher speeds. The rear brakes have been deglazed twice and the rotors turned, but it always started squealing within a day afterward. I also hear a slight dragging sound on both of the front wheels when I jack the car up and spin the wheels. It sounds like the pads are just slightly touching the rotors. Maybe this is normal?

What would you recommend doing? I'm thinking I need to replace all four rotors and pads with the right parts to be sure it's right. What brand of rotors and pads would you recommend for use as a somewhat aggressive daily driver?
Old 11-13-2001, 03:43 PM
MadMax
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryan,
I would recommend Axxi or PBR Metal Masters Pads. No squeal and minimal (almost none) brake dust. As for rotors, I would go with OEM rotors (Paragon has them) Saebro or Zimmerman. Porsche used both companies at the time our cars were built.

The vibration you hear and feel is probably due to the rotors being warped. Sometimes 'turning' the rotors will not fix this. I just replaced two brand new rotors I got from a parts company (they were Saebro drilled rotors) that were warped right out of the factory. This does happen sometimes but it is rare. If you replace the front rotors and pads it should fix your problem. I had some of the same symptoms as you have but I had localized it to the front only (primarily the left front). I did change both left and right front rotors because I didn't think it wise to have a plain rotor on one side and drilled rotor on the other.

So, I would order rotors from Paragon try that. OR you could take your car to an authorized Porsche dealer and have them trouble shoot the braking system for you. Whatever you do...don't wait long. Your car is dangerous at the moment. Good luck.

Regards,
Max

Quick Reply: Which new rotors/pads for a 91 944S2?