Old 01-02-2002, 05:13 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need advice asap going to shop tonight

History of my 944 n/a

I have an 87 944 N/A. Here is the list of the work and parts that I have replaced or had worked on in the past four months.

1) New spring type clutch and pressure plate
2) Replaced torque tube with used “ Old bearings making noise”
3) Blew trans replaced with Turbo Trans out of another 87
4) New Rebuilt wrack and power steering pump
5) New Catalytic converter and muffler stock replacement with O2 sensor
6) Replaced bearings in front
7) New set of Yoks
8) New set of struts in front “I do not remember the type but slightly better than stock “
9) New shocks in rear
10) Complete motor maintenance including new cap, rotor, plus wire set and crossfire plugs
11) Valve cover seal
12) Replaced Oil pressure sensor
13) This Tuesday I will have replaced the timing belts and the motor mounts
14) Replacing water pump with new factory OEM at the same time
15) Replacing outer power steering and alienator/AC belt as well
16) Also replacing the engine temp sensor reticently discovered as bad
17) I have had a full four wheel and thrust alignment on the car and it drives true

Recent decisions on repairs are as follows.

1) Steering Control arms and ball joints will be replaced with new and all bushings in front are going to be replaced with neoprene replacements.
2) Adding anti roll bar from a Turbo 944 in rear and replacing bushings with Neoprene replacements
3) Adding front strut tower brace new to stiffen up front end during breaking
4) Ordered a front and rear set of Zimmerman cross drilled rotors for front and a set for the rear will follow by spring
5) Replacing break lines with OEM steel breaded version of same.
6) Calipers are being removed and rebuilt this Monday and new low break dust pads are being added

Interior replacements to be complete by spring

1) Door seals new replacement
2) Outer window felt replacement
3) Inner window felt replacement
4) Upper windows felt replacement
5) Lower windows channel felt
6) Rear Hatch seal
7) Sun roof seal
8) Side carpet strip moldings
9) Door handle seals
10) Rear hatch lock Seal
11) Turn signal lenses in front replacing with new
12) Both Door glass being replaced because of scratches on old glass
13) Adding the original Porsche Decal on rear of car
14) Adding original Porsche rock guards to car “Complete set”
15) New hood crest and seal
16) Replacing All Carpet with New Domestic carpet kits complete with rear hatch set and new push tabs
17) Ordered factory original floor mats to match car
18) Changing to white face instrument dials on dash
19) Replacing the original steering wheel with a Porsche Racing wheel with new emblem
20) Re keying entire car Tuesday with factory original numbers and new factory original keys with Porsche crest and push button light

Recently completed…

All belts
Timing belts
Front seals
Engine mounts
Valve cover gasket
New water pump
New thermostat
New temp sensor

There is more that I will do but after I get past this spring like having rear windows faded and getting new rebuilt windshield wiper arms, having the door window motors cleaned and greased. Things like that

Ok here is the deal. The clutch was done on my 87 944 n/a two months ago. The fist time, it seemed alright however shortly "Within 60 miles the throw out bearing started to sound as if it where traveling back and forth when the clutch was released and the car was not in gear. My mechanic told me to leave it there and he redid the entire clutch. In the process he replaced the toque tube because it was frozen in place and would not freely travel back and fourth. "This is a direct quote from him" so I forked out for another used tube he stated it was from an 85 944.

Here is the problem. The car has slightly vibrated every sense he did the clutch the first time. There has been a distinctive “shhhhhhhhhh” sound when down shifting every sense as well. Now the clutch sounds like the throw out bearing is doing the same thing again and I am brining it back to him. IS there any advice any of you might have before I get to he shop tonight? And is there any difference in the toque tube from a 95 to a 97 I am wondering if this might have something to do with the “shhhhhhh” sound I am hearing during down shifting ? thanks
Old 01-02-2002, 10:29 PM
rfuerst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the clutch and pressure plate and throwout bearing replaced recently in my 1987-944s and have noticed a slight shuddering noise when downshifting,but it has been getting to be less as I get some miles on the clutch,I also notice if I blip the throttle as I downshift to match the revs the problem is diminished.I have been told by others that the spring centered clutch is better than the rubber centered but it does tend to be a little noisier.Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:03 PM
rplencne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rfuerst944s : Interesting ... this summer we rebuild the motor and replaced all the clutch components and refaced the flywheel, and we have the exact same problem. Matching the revs make the problem go away. If you don't match the revs, we get a strong vibration for a second. The original clutch was had the rubber center, while the new disk has the springs. My first suspicions were motor mounts or something loose in the rear suspension, but we haven't found anything yet. The recent cold weather seems to have uncovered a bad rear shock ... who knows ... maybe that's it ... not likely ... but maybe ...

Forgot to mention ... ours is an early '85 944.

-Bob P.

Quick Reply: Need advice asap going to shop tonight