944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

WACKY VOLT METER

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 04:49 PM
944 FAN
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face WACKY VOLT METER

Could someone please help..Ive been noticing that my battery meter gauge lately has been reading really low, actuallywhen i 1st start the car in the morning it reads close to the 14 range, as i continue driving it reaches close to 12 than it goes as low as 10..at this point om wondering if the car will shut off..The wacky thing about it, is that sometimes it shoots back up to close to 14..I know its not the alternator, and i just replaced the battery,im thinking maybe a fauly volt gauge..Could someone shed some light on this??????any reply's are greatly appreciated,its also a 89 944..
Old 01-02-2002, 05:52 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Originally posted by 944 FAN:
Could someone please help..
Could be the gauge, there not known for there accuracy.

Best thing to do is rig up a Digital Voltmeter, into the cabin, with lead going to the battery, mine is in the Back so it's easy, otherwise if yours in the front you may be able to still do this.

Then all you have to do is compare reading's.

YOu could also rig a cigarette lighter lead to go to your meter as well.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:11 AM
Melchior
Pro

I fixed mine when it started doing that. There is a resistor in the back of the voltmeter gauge (in the instrument cluster) that gets corrosion on it over time. Simply slide the resistor out of its mount, clean its contacts with fine sand paper and reinstall it.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:29 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear 944 Fan,
Whilst I agree that it could be the indicator itself it could also be the regulator assembly which is mounted in the rear of the alternator assembly.
One check you can do whilst driving is to apply different loads. Lights on and off, aircon on and off. Rear window demister.
Before replacing the voltmeter I would confirm 100% that it is no the regulator or a wiring problem. Have you checked all the wires on the battery positive terminal, since replacing the battery. Maybe a check of the earths or ground studs would be in order as well,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 03-13-2002, 06:55 AM
Blue944Auto
1st Gear

Talking

Hey, there is a simply way of fixing the volt meter, e-mail me and i will send you and article that will solve all your problems on the volmeter gauge ( don`t worry, it will not cost you a penny)
Old 03-13-2002, 08:30 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree you want to check the voltage with another meter while driving and see what happens. Just fish some temporary wires from the battery, through the window and into the cabin.

Adrian is also right that it could be the regulator. They are designed to cut down the voltage a bit as the engine bay gets warmer to prevent too rapid a charge to the battery. So the regulator could be crapping out and overdoing this feature.

I'm buying a bunch of regulators for some Rennlisters in the next week or so. If you want in they are $16.50 plus $4.50 shipping.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:23 AM
Marcus
Instructor

Could this be due to not having the cooling duct attached on the back of the alt? Mine does the same thing and I noticed that the pipe was missing. I'm going to replace it and see if it makes a diff.

Cheers,
Old 03-13-2002, 02:14 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lack of the cooling duct would make the voltage drop down quicker but shouldn't cause erratic pops up and down in voltage. Other than lack of the cooling duct happened to result in your electrical parts wearing out quicker than they should have.

Quick Reply: WACKY VOLT METER