1983 944 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 09:30 AM
biker45
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1983 944 won't start

Hello;

I have a 944 that haas not been started in 3 years. I have put in fresh gas, new cap/rotor, and plugs, battery. And it will not start. I have checked the voltages and resistances suggested in the haynes manual for air flow, throttle position and injectors (every thing is ok).

I took off the large nut at the end of the fuel rail and got some light tea colored gas pumping out when i turned it over.

The thing that bugs me is after 3-4 10 second attempts to start the engine i still cannot smell gas on my plugs.

I am new to these cars and i must be missing something basic. I have checked all teh fuses and I am running out of ideas but i think the prob has to be fuel related.

any good ideas folks?? thanks jp
Old 11-03-2001, 05:50 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Maybe the injectors are clogged. Take them out and have a shop clean them.
Old 11-04-2001, 01:48 AM
newoldguy
Instructor

Let's hope its just this simple. When I was having trouble with no start condition this summer, it apparently was fixed when I took apart every damn connector I could get my hands on, including the DME connector, sprayed the male and female parts with contact cleaner (got it at NAPA) and re-connected everything. Starts now and I didn't replace anything. Go figure.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:54 AM
biker45
3rd Gear

Originally posted by biker45:
<STRONG>Hello;

I have a 944 that haas not been started in 3 years. I have put in fresh gas, new cap/rotor, and plugs, battery. And it will not start. I have checked the voltages and resistances suggested in the haynes manual for air flow, throttle position and injectors (every thing is ok).

I took off the large nut at the end of the fuel rail and got some light tea colored gas pumping out when i turned it over.

The thing that bugs me is after 3-4 10 second attempts to start the engine i still cannot smell gas on my plugs.

I am new to these cars and i must be missing something basic. I have checked all teh fuses and I am running out of ideas but i think the prob has to be fuel related.

any good ideas folks?? thanks jp</STRONG>

Thanks for the tips. I pulled the injectors and will have them tested/cleaned. I will try the contact cleaner as well. Before i stored this car i drove it for more than a year and it was fine. BTW It seems that every time i remove an electrical connector from this car the wire is brittle and the connections somewhat oxidized. Dont these cars age gracefully?
Old 11-05-2001, 01:43 AM
newoldguy
Instructor

I guess this is not as uncommon as you might think (the corrosion problem). Several guys pointed me in this direction when I was having my starting problems. What was also suggested, and I will do this over the winter, is that all of these connectors should have a dab of dielectric grease put on them to minimize the problems in the future. As far as the brittle wires. we probably should remember that our cars are in the range of 13 to 19 years old and we're going to be chasing these problems once in a while. Let us know if any of this advice helps out and gets your car running again!!!
Old 11-05-2001, 02:07 AM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

My dad (yes I know I'm not old enough to drive a 944 or 951, I just strayed here from the 914 forum) had this problem. After checking basically everything after it stopped running very spontaniously at a stop light, he found out it was the relay, so then the fuel pump wouldn't do anything. So he fixed it and we had fun with it ever since. The End.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:32 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Is gas supposed to look like this?
In Netherlands it is colored (for tax reasons) and tea colored would make me look for dirt.
Filter? Pump? Pressure control valve?
Hope this is of help
Old 11-06-2001, 09:45 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear JP,
Is your fuel pump running. No fuel pump running, it will never start. I would be looking at three things, based on your comments about corrosion,
1/. Check the fuel pump relay
2/. Check Fuel Pump Fuse
3/. Check Fuel Filter
You can jumper the fuel pump relay to bypass it. I think pins 30 and 87. It will show you on the relay anyway,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: I assume the battery is okay. The fuel pump should crank up and stay running within 1 second of your turning the ignition "on".
Old 11-07-2001, 03:52 PM
Lamah
Instructor

i'd start with the DME relay (fuel pump relay). You could start by removing the plastic cover and holding the bottom part of the relay closed with a pencil or other small wooden rod. do this and try cranking it over. Not sure if this works with a bad relay, as mine was a anti-theft failure, but its worth a try. For 20 bucks, i'd replace it before you go too far.

good luck,
Jeff aka Lamah

Quick Reply: 1983 944 won't start