944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What Sensor is this? '84 944

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 02:30 AM
Es3L
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What Sensor is this? '84 944

What sensor is right underneath the Air Filter Tube that connects the AirFilterBox to the ThrottleHousing. When is comes loose/falls off the car idles at 250rpm and is very sluggish. I want to buy a new one because my clip is broke and falls off and then it boggs out and dies. Thanks. Matt (sorry bout the terms i cant think right now, school in the morning)
Old 11-02-2001, 12:31 PM
rplencne
Instructor

I suspect your refering to the air/flow meter. Things don't run too well with that connector off. It's purpose is two fold ... it measures the incoming air temp, and also measures the amout of air flowing into the engine. This info is sent back to the DME (under the dash) and is used to control the fuel injectors ... more air coming in -> more fuel needed. Of course, I'm assuming this is the connector you're refering to. It's got 4 pins in the connector.

-Bob P.

-Bob P
Old 11-02-2001, 09:50 PM
Es3L
Instructor

thanks for the help, now its time to buy a new clip for it, i was always wondering its name. It has about 3 and a half pins. and some tape. it does a nice big lunge ...die out when it falls off
Old 11-08-2001, 03:53 PM
Lamah
Instructor

mass air flow sensor is the name i believe. unless you are refering to the one directly below the throttle body .. that one is the throtle position sensor.
Old 11-08-2001, 05:04 PM
rplencne
Instructor

I hate to be argumentative, but it really is called a AFM (Air Flow Meter) on these early 944's ('84 in this case). It's the "barn door" style ... as more air flows thru the AFM, the door opens further. The door is connected a potentiometer (variable resistor) which tells the DME the position of the door.

A MAF is a sensor used on more modern injection systems and measures the "energy" in the air flowing by it by trying to heat up a little wire to a known temperature. The more current needed to get to a given temp, the more air was flowing (also accounts for temp and humidity ... ie the "mass").

One performance upgrade is to convert from AFM -> MAF since MAF is a more precise way of measuring the "energy" flowing into the intake. I'm not so sure this is much of a help on an early NA, but is typical on turbos that built up well beyond stock HP numbers.

-Bob P.

Quick Reply: What Sensor is this? '84 944