Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Handling.Suspention question advice needed

Old 12-12-2001, 11:34 AM
Tabo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Handling.Suspention question advice needed

OK Since this is the place to get all of the good answers to questions relating to the vast 944 population in this great country. Here’s one that I am perplexed about. First some details about my car

I have an 87 944 N.A. Here is the list of the work and parts that I have replaced or had worked on in the past four months.

1) New spring type clutch and pressure plate
2) Replaced torque tube with used “ Old bearings making noise”
3) Blew trans replaced with Turbo Trans out of another 87
4) New Rebuilt wrack and power steering pump
5) New Catalytic converter and muffler stock replacement with O2 sensor
6) Replaced bearings in front
7) New set of Yoks
8) New set of struts in front “I do not remember the type but slightly better than stock “
9) New shocks in rear

10) complete motor maintenance including new cap, rotor, plus wire set and crossfire plugs

11) Valve cover seal

12) Replaced Oil pressure sensor

13) This Tuesday I will have replaced the timing belts and the motor mounts

14) Also replacing the engine temp sensor reticently discovered as bad

15) I have had a full four wheel and thrust alignment on the car and it drives true

Here is the question. The car seems to be running great. However, I have noticed that during cornering the car seems to push heavily throughout turns also on the highway the stance does not seem to be as tight as I expect it to be. I know that this is kind of vague but I am wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to why the car would be pushing through turns and possibly why the stance on the car doesn’t seem quite right. I am considering a strut tower brace to see is I can firm up the front end and as the car did not come with a anti sway bar/anti role bar in the rear I am considering adding the one from a 87 944 turbo that I have access to for parts. Any advice would be appreciated thanks
Old 12-12-2001, 03:17 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good lord! You've got a new car on your hands methinks All in 4 months

I'll assume the "push" you speak of is understeer(?). The 944 is an understeerer/pusher from the word go. Especially with skinny OE sized tires and no rear bar. The shortest and easiest start would be to source that 18mm Turbo bar and see how you feel then. If it doesn't become more neutral, then you might consider some adjustable shocks. Also, what are the tire sizes, type (Yok what?), and pressures? Over/Under inflation can cause all sorts of mess. Also, what are the specs of the alignment you had done. If done to factory spec, then you've got some room for improvement by adding a little more camber (the factory settings are a compromise of performance vs. tire wear).

Finally, the 944 is a pretty rigid car, even the front end. A strut bar will not usually do much to a car not being driven on the edge with ultra-high performance or race tires. If cost concious, your initial suspension upgrades should start elsewhere... if not cost concious, they are pretty cool

Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2001, 07:01 PM
Doug Ford
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tabo,
If you want an sway bar here is a used bar. I belive it is 18mm.

E-mail Wayward944@aol.com

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Handling.Suspention question advice needed