944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Why ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 01:03 PM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why ??????

Why is it that all I tend to see on this and other BBS's questions about people wanting to convert there 24's 44's etc.

By dropping a 44 lump into a 24, or sticking a chevy block into a 68 or putting a 68 flywheel and clutch assy in a 44 or 24 or how can I convert my N/A into a turbo. etc.etc.etc.

If you don't like your 24, buy a 44. Want a nice 68, duh call me stupid but why not buy one.

A lot of these mod's can be done. BUT at what cost. When you add upp all the other bit's you need (for safety and correct conversion), extra cost of insuring a modified car. It's got to be cheaper to buy the real thing.

I mean the price difference between a 24 and a 44 is not going to bankrupt you. OK depending on what you want, you might want to try saving up the money.

OK, I can understand if you want to buy a Ferrari,Lambo or Buggati kit car. The real thing's are out of our price range.

The only ppl who don't seem to want or have the need to convert there rides are the 11's, boxsters etc crowd. I wonder why ????

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a nicely customised car,paint job's, bodywork, engine mod's, chip's.

Though some of the purists would still stay away from anything to wild.

These are Porsche's after all.

A Porsche to me does not need to be riced' up. Grant it some of the older ones may not have some of the refinements or performance as some of the jap crap that's about.

But, how fast do you really want to go on a public highway. Can you really use all 400 BHP and if you think it's going to attract women, thats wrong for a start.

Most women will just like a car 'cos it's shiny, smart and red. If it happens to be a Porsche "BONUS".

Your car will get her in but will your personality keep her there ??

Sorry I digress.

Porsche's along with other similar prestige car's are precision pieces of equipment. Why do you think they cost so much to maintain.

When a designer sit's down to "make" a car he has all sort's of concern's.

Safety, Performance, Handling, longeveity, Windresistance, look's, styling.

Everything is there for a reason. If you don't like the lack of power in a standard 24' then buy a turbo or a 68.

But don't think you can shoehorn a V8 chevy with Carlos Fandango extra wide 10" wheel's, racing clutch, super charged and expect it not to have problems.

The other thing of course it now ceases to be a Porsche.

If you want to do these thing's then buy a nice little Nissan or an Impretsa or a Chevy.

And then you can go dragging with the other boy racer's (off the public highway please, don't want you killing me or mine now !) and play let's see who can p-i-s-s the furthest !

Me, I've got a Porsche, I'm relativly happy with it (would'nt mind a 68), not going to turn it into something it's not. Looking at some mod's (Porsche or Specalist approved).

As for when these nappy headed ricer's want to show me what they've got, I just let them fly past me just so they can see the Badge on the bonnet which say's PORSCHE.

Don't got nothing to prove, When you've got a Porsche you don't need to !

Sorry 'bout the rant. Sorry if I've offended anyone, but hey that's life and it suck's

Adrian Jaye

91 S2 RED CAB
Old 10-31-2001, 03:44 PM
scular
Racer

Thumbs up

You got it right. My solutionn is to have many, many, cars; one for every situation. Between my brother and me, we have nine cars from Cadillac to original Beetles and Karmann Ghias to Delorean to Nissans to Porsche. Everyone has its points and is a joy to drive especially my Porsche and his Delorean.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:43 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

cheers,
good idea
Old 11-03-2001, 06:49 PM
adie
Pro

If you don't know, don't comment, most women have a little more sense than you give them credit for, or maybe that's the kind of woman your hoping to attract. Most people who convert there cars have the ability to maintain them, there car there choice, not saying it's right or wrong, I have both and both have there merits and problems, admittedly the S2 is the one that lives in the garage and the V8 is in the drive, but I am less bothered if some scum scratches the V8 as I have it insured and love driving it, plus it winds up little boys seeing a real woman in a real car.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:12 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

HI Adie

Originally posted by adie:
If you don't know, don't comment,

It was a rhetorical question.

most women have a little more sense than you give them credit for,

you'd think so, try reading some of the replies on this thread posted on the 24/44/51/68 part

or maybe that's the kind of woman your hoping to attract.

There's 2 types of women, the ones you want to marry and the ones you just want to knock boot's with

Most people who convert there cars have the ability to maintain them, there car there choice, not saying it's right or wrong, I have both and both have there merits and problems, admittedly the S2 is the one that lives in the garage and the V8 is in the drive, but I am less bothered if some scum scratches the V8 as I have it insured and love driving it,

I've done this one to death again see the thread in the 24/44/51/68 section.

plus it winds up little boys seeing a real woman in a real car.

Your probably right on this one, though it does'nt bother me.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:57 PM
Lamah
Instructor

I think people should feel free to do what they want to their cars. I plan to purchase a super charger for my 944 when they become available which will cost about as much as it would to buy a faster car. But what fun is it to go out and buy a new car every time what you want changes ? why not try to improve what you have ? I love the handleing of my 944, but if it ran 10's and still handled well .. wouldnt that be the best of both worlds ? its a lot more practical to have one really nice car, then a bunch of decent cars.

thats how I feel about it anyways.
Jeff aka Lamah
Old 11-15-2001, 06:07 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Hey Jeff,

Originally posted by Lamah:
But what fun is it to go out and buy a new car every time what you want changes ?

Not what I said, If you buy a 944 and want to mod in so far as making it into a 968, your better off selling the 44 and buying a 68.

If you've got a 24 and drop a big bore chevvy, 18" wheels, warp drive and bodykit of a camero, it ceases to be a 924 porsche

why not try to improve what you have ?
Not against that.... re-read my original post

I love the handleing of my 944, but if it ran 10's and still handled well .. wouldnt that be the best of both worlds ? its a lot more practical to have one really nice car, then a bunch of decent cars.

Again not waht I said,I've a company car (as a daily driver) and my S2. If I had to I'd use my S" daily.

Some performance mod's makes driveing a car on anything other than a track impractical and in some cases extremly difficult.

It's your choice as always,

MY point which load's of ppl have missed is why buy a Porsche and change it into something different.

We all bought or car's for what ever reason.

If I bought a Porsche it's for one reason, if I bought a classic 50's amerian car, that would be a different reason.
IF I bought a ricer or peoeple carrier or Sherman tank that would be for another reason.

BUT I never told people NOT to d things I asked why. Which is what I can't understand that ppl just get to stressed out complaining that I'm trying to infringe there civil rights or some ihhhst.

Is it getting to a point now were if you ask a question some "child" is going to jump down your throat for just asking ??

Hey you guy's are supposed to have an ammednment for freedom of speech.

How about giving others the chance to use it.

Rant over,

By the way Jeff, last part was not aimed at your self.

ok peaqce outr

ts how I feel about it anyways.
Jeff aka Lamah
Old 11-15-2001, 08:36 PM
Lamah
Instructor

I see what your getting at ... but every time you buy a new car, there are tons of things that can go wrong. I'd rather replace certain parts of my car then go buy a new one. Plus I'd rather have a car while I save up to improve it then to not have a car while I save up for a better one.. My explorer required about $1000+ (it was 2500) worth of work. its depressing to sell a car that you've put so much money into maintenence wise and risk getting a car that you'll have to do it all over again. My 944 is already pushing 2 grand in the first few months, and i only paid $4200. Not sure if thats even remotely relevant ... but *shrug*

Quick Reply: Why ??????