Newbie from DallasTx.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 05:57 PM
BallGoFar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Newbie from DallasTx.

Hey,
Just got this sweet 944 and wanted to know how hard is it to drop a turbo in the motor
to make it fast enough to beat a Mustang....

Just Kidding!!

Seriously though, I have been lurking for a while and learning as much as I can.
My name is Dustin and I'm from Dallas, TX. Yesterday (my birthday) I bought myself
A 1986 944 N/A and was thrilled beyond belief. I can't imagine a much better birthday!

I'm sure I paid too much and I know that this car will quickly become an
obsession but I’m still enjoying the post purchase glow and I keep catching myself
going out to look at the parking lot! Until yesterday I had two passions: golf and Van Halen and yes I’m aware that the band broke up (no jokes about Gary, please). Now I have a third that’s going to overpower everything else.

Please be patient with me as I’m learning and I would like to ask if there’s anyone from
the D/FW area that would be willing to adopt me while I learn and anybody else on the board that will mentor me for a while. I could use some help right away with a good mechanic in Dallas and somebody good in North Dallas would be fantastic.

My plan is to get the car as close to perfect as I can. I plan on owning this car for at least a couple of years and enjoying every minute of it! I know it's going to take some work to get it to where I want it to be, but that's part of the fun, you know, the whole diamond in the rough thing.

As you can imagine I have tons of questions and want to know everything and I’m trying
to hold back from asking and search the boards, so bear with me.

Ok, first question…I have the BBS wheels with the gold in the middle and yes I will be replacing them but in the meantime, I am missing one of the crest center caps, where can I get another one…quickly. Well time to go to the parking lot to look again!!

Dustin
Old 12-09-2001, 12:50 AM
Super Dave
Pro

Talking

Hey Dustin
I live in Arlington. I too got my 944 about a year ago and went through the same learning curve that is ahead of you. I do most of the restorating my self and have logged over 25 hours since the day after Thanksgiving on nothing more than this' and thats.
Parts: I have a 84 model that I am parting out and might have some pcs left that might be helpful to you.
Mechanic: You JUST CANNOT beat the guys over at ZIMS (allzim.com or 800-356-2964) over in Euless. They are right on hwy183 on the west bound service rd just west of 157. Talk to Wayne he will take all the time you need to explain what needs to be done and answer any questions you have without making you feel stupid ar anything like that. I have a few other bookmarks to let you in on when you reply back. Make a list and I will see what parts I have.

David M.
hpandsd@ev1.net
817-795-4149
Old 12-10-2001, 02:49 PM
BallGoFar
Intermediate

David,

You have mail.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:07 PM
Tabo
Track Day

COngrats!!! on the new obsession. I think we are all sick with the same problem. We have taste in cars and want them to run and look as new as the day they where spit out the factory doors. I know your excitement and my pocket book feels the 13,000.00 dollar pinch as well. That's on referb work and parts. Body and paint is next that will be abother 4500 mostly paint. and well hehe, then I get to start upgrading. oh I think I am going to be sick. I need to run out and look at my car again. see ya and I have an 87 944 na AND LOVE IT. OH! hey next time you see that mustang, coax him onto the highway get him to about 80 then drop your self to third and punch it, then listen for his motor when it explodes as you hit the 155 160 mark that is if he doesnt wreck his car first. you will beat him hands down. YOu may want to check and and make sure you have v rated tires before attempting this stunt. wouldent want to hear that your car got all banged up trying beat or loosing to a pony. OR.... not I am not recomending this but you can just smile and dream as he wonders what the heck the grin on your face is as you pass him on the highway.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:26 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts
Big welcome to the club. My suggestions:

Join local PCA region
Subscribe to RennList as a paid member and get on the 924/944 list - best on the planet, hands down
Get with the fella from Arlington and start having "Beer Nights"... A couple of guys in Chicago started it here, we get 20+ people turning up to talk Porsches all night, usually every other Thursday
Get the mechanicals sorted out and sign up for a Driver's Ed session with the local PCA... This is the MOST fun you can have with your clothes on

Other than that, you've come to the right place to talk to the strongest auto crowd I've ever seen.

Keep the shiny side up,

Quick Reply: Newbie from DallasTx.