944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Sunroof intermittantly won't open

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 01:39 AM
RCKinstler
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sunroof intermittantly won't open

My S2's sunroof won't open sometimes. It can close or retract the lifting arms.
Any suggestions on what might be flaky?
Thanks.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:07 PM
IPC
Instructor

Check the micro switch over the rear view mirror. The front center of the sunroof pushes on the switch to make contact as it opens it releases the switch to stop the sunroof. If the switch goes bad or is out of adjustment the sunroof will not work.
Old 09-13-2001, 12:54 AM
newoldguy
Instructor

Very interesting. I had the exact same problem on my '87 944 n/a. It was suggested that I had a grounding problem. Before I could figure out the sunroof, my dash lights quit--and again it was suggested that it was a grounding problem. I finally got some help from a fellow owner who pointed out that there are grounding points inside the car under the dash essentially below where the fuse/relay box is (there were 4 grounding bolts/wires there. I got them all cleaned up and be damned if dash lights didn't come back to life but now car won't start. So, I've either knocked something loose or roasted something fooling around with ground wires. I'm still chasing this and running out of summer while my car sits.

I've read a lot about microswitches too but you might check for grounds as well. If anybody has an idea about my starting problem I'm all ears.
Old 10-25-2001, 06:21 PM
UK Bill 944 S2
8th Gear

There is a great description of the Sunroof operation here http://boerger.golden-tech.com/favorite.htm
Hope it helps
Bill

Quick Reply: Sunroof intermittantly won't open