944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

110 Octane in 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 07:11 PM
Lamah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 110 Octane in 944 NA

i found a station with 110 octane racing fuel and was wondering if it would make a difference in my car. i dont wanna try it if its not gonna help, since its 3.49 a gallon

thanks,
Lamah
Old 12-04-2001, 08:30 PM
86944turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel with that high of an octane rating probably contains lead. If this fuel is leaded, in time it will adversely affect your oxygen sensor, this in turn creates many problems. High octane fuel allows a motor to run higher compression without detonation, or more boost turbo & S/C motors. If the pump fuel at your local station meets the requirements of your Porsche owners manual, the gain in H/P from any type of racing fuel would be negligible. The exception to this is a race fuel that develops more BTU's than your pump fuel. Even then, the gain is nominal. Higher octane does not equate to more power, even in racing fuels. Sunoco GT-Plus is 104 octane unleaded. It is of such high quality, that it actually delivers more H/P on a motor that can run ot it, than Sunoco's 113 octane unleaded. If you really want to use higher octane, find a distibutor of the Sunoco GT-Plus. It will not have any negative affect on your motor. Probably will not show a significant H/P gain either. I use the GT-Plus, have it delivered to me regularly, but I run a lot of boost. It is insurance against detonation. Even though it is rated for up to 14.5:1 compression ratio, you can safely run 20:1 (1 do regularly) if everything in the motor is right, especially the timimg.

Quick Reply: 110 Octane in 944 NA