944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Odd oil pressure when warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 01:36 PM
Tabo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Odd oil pressure when warm

Help! Has any one ever heard of this problem? I have a 87 944 n/a all seem well however recently I have noticed that from a cold start all runs well Idle is between 900-1000 rpm and the car seems to run very well. When it gets to running temp “Normal” all is well however, it has started to get warm getting just below red then the fans kick in and reduce the temp back to normal, I have noticed the oil pressure then drops during idle to the three mark and idle seem off with the oil occasionally dropping to 2.5. Oil pressure returns to normal as soon as I step on the gas during normal driving. But the temp continues to flux between normal to high?? Because of this I when out and had the oil changed and the cooling system flushed and then refilled “Correctly” under vacuum. Problem still continues. Any suggestion or ideas?
Old 12-03-2001, 07:35 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil pressure dropping to 2 Bar at idle would be perfectly normal and it should drop some. The weight, brand, and type of oil will make a big difference in oil pressure readings. Everything you describe seems normal enough. Does it run near hot when moving (bad under normal conditions) or when you are in stop/go conditions?
Old 12-04-2001, 11:15 AM
Tabo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THe heating occurs under normal driving conditions? It is the oddest thing?
Old 12-04-2001, 10:10 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Tabo,

Your oil pressure is normal. Mine hangs about 2.5 bars when warm and at idle. If you are still having temp problems. Crank up the heater and let it run for about 10 minutes. Then burp it again.

Quick Reply: Odd oil pressure when warm