85 944 oil, doors and more

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 09:48 AM
Rabbit
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 85 944 oil, doors and more

Okay, thanks for all the info.

I'm ready to begin with four items of immediate interest.

First: I want to change the oil. My oil filter appears on the left side (facing the engine), in an upright position. It's surrounded by hoses and sure looks like it will spill oil everywhere when I remove it. Any thoughts? Also, what type of oil - I'm thinking Castrol or Valvoline - weight recommendations appreciated.

Second: Where is the best place to purchase a new oil pressure sender switch?

Third: My 944 is equipped with factory fog/running lights. The only problem is, they don't work. I really want to fix them as I think the car looks better without the pop-ups on at night (or anytime). Please help me with this act of vanity.

I've check all my fuses and they are intact. Both lights seem to be in good shape from the outside. I'm thinking, "go to the switch, first."

Fourth: My passenger-side power window is inoperable from either switch. Again, fuses are good. Am thinking to check the wiring harness where it hinges through the passenger door. What else should I be looking for? Also, any pointers on removing the door panel?

Many thanks.

Rabbit
Old 11-28-2001, 11:37 AM
ast2000
Instructor

Yes the filter will leak oil everywhere when you remove it. I have NEVER managed to hit the catch pan. I've been told that if you poke a hole in the top of the filter that most of the oil will drain out before you remove it???

I use Castrol 10W-30 in mine. There is a web site with a lot of information regarding oil weights. I believe I found it as a link through another 944 site, try a google search on Porsche 944.

The oil pressure sender can be purchased from most of the mail order parts houses, try Paragon or Zimms. It is easy to change, however I had to modify a 1" wrench (shorten the length) to tighten it up.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:15 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Helps to raise the headlights to get access to the oil filter.

Ignition and parking or low beam headlights have to be on for the fogs to work. The fogs are not adequate to use as night headlights, most functional as running lights.

The switches are a frequent failure point for the windows. The switches can be removes and cleaned.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:39 AM
Rabbit
7th Gear

Talking

Great help! I really appreciate it. I expect to tackle the oil and lights this weekend.

I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks again.

Rabbit
Old 12-08-2001, 11:15 PM
Super Dave
Pro

I just put a new passenger window in my 85-1/2. The pannel comes off real easy in the same way as most any does remove the pull handle and door pocket screws and any other visiable ones. Use a puddy knife to ease out the plastic barbed post on opening side of door. remove speaker grill and simply lift straight up. You may have a bad window motor if both switches are not operating the window. I would unplug the motor and put power to the motor with any 12v power source. Give me a shout if you need the motor I am parting out a 84 model and have a good on in stock.

David M.
hpandsd@ev1.net
Old 12-11-2001, 03:48 PM
Lamah
Instructor

I've heard it is best to use the same weight oil throughout the life of the car, so you may want to find out what is currently in it and use that. As for brand .... go with your favorite brand.
Old 12-11-2001, 04:03 PM
Rabbit
7th Gear

Smile

Got the oil changed weekend before last. Uneventful. Appreciate the hint on raising the headlights.

I'm somewhat doubtful that the future projects will be so easy.

Am debating between going after the fog/running lamps vs the passenger side electrics. The mirror motor doesn't work from the driver's side switch and the window doesn't work from either switch. Am planning to check the wiring harness at the door hinge.

Many thanks,

Rabbit

Quick Reply: 85 944 oil, doors and more