944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

A thumping sound...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 07:15 AM
jjm1173
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry A thumping sound...

Ok here we go again. my 84 944 has a thumping sound from the right rear when driving.. I put new tires on the rear to see if that would make a difference due to the car sitting for about 2 months I thought maybe there was a flat spot in the tire or a bad belt.well it didn't go away any ideas

Thanks,
Jason.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:02 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
More than likely this is either the CV joints in the drive axle or the wheel bearing.

Sounds are hard to describe on the Internet, but:

- CV's usually click and clack, especially when turning. If the grease has dried up, you can usually hear this at low speeds (even with simply spinning the wheel by hand)

- Wheel bearings usually hum or make a "wub, wub, wub" sound at medium to high speeds, again, especially when turning.

Some checks to preform: lift the rear and start shaking and yanking on everything. Makes sure there aren't any simple obvious signs of wear or failure. Try wiggling the wheel... it should not have any lateral movement... if it does, check the wheel nut (yours is a castle type nut with a retaining pin, so it should be obvious if loose). Spin the wheel and listen... if you hear clicking, the CV joints are failing or failed. If caught in time, you can simply rotate and regrease them.

Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2002, 05:06 AM
Dave Davies
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar noise that turned out to be the spring retainer on the parking brake shoes broken and allowed the shoe to catch on the drum.

Quick Reply: A thumping sound...