944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

New to the 944 deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 05:12 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New to the 944 deal

Hi guys, im new to the whole 944 world. I just bought an 86 944 8v N/A that is in superb condition and i was wondering what would be the best way in your experienced opinions on how to get the performance up for not so much cash (im a college student) I've got a good mechanic so dont hesitate to give shop-intensive advise. My first thought was to get an Autothority chip and K&N air filter setup, but what else?

I was also thinking of putting a Turbo/S2 front end on the car to make it look more powerful and maybe 17" 968 rims, but thats all after my spring bill gets paid.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:49 PM
944-SS4Vegeta
AutoX

Thumbs up

The best choice you have ever made. !!!
Congratulations for your car and welcome to the community.

I have a 944 1988 red / 90k.
I have the chip and the K&N too.
The next step that i recomend for not a lot of money would be a Performance Throttle Body and Performance Fuel pressure regulator. Then Headers and a complete Exhaust system.

You'll improve a lot with this.
I had my car since stock and i added all the parts i mentioned to you one by one.... I saw my car get more powerful everytime something was added. I'm at about 202 ponies dyno tested.

After this comes all the expensive upgrades , so i would recomend you start with that .

Good luck.

944-ss4vegeta.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:39 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by 944-SS4Vegeta:
<strong>I have a 944 1988 red / 90k.
I have the chip and the K&N too.
The next step that i recomend for not a lot of money would be a Performance Throttle Body and Performance Fuel pressure regulator. Then Headers and a complete Exhaust system.

I'm at about 202 ponies dyno tested.</strong><hr></blockquote>

With the mods listed you are dyno'd at 202RWHP SAE? Could we see the dyno sheets... I'm sure we'd all be very interested to see such a dramatic improvement. You car is an 8v na?

Thanks!

Skip
Old 03-26-2002, 02:22 PM
944-SS4Vegeta
AutoX

Unhappy

Hello Skip.

Hey man I don't wanna look like a liar but that is what the told me. I don't know if it is impossible or if they wanted to play me for stupid but that's what i have . supposely.

Tell me why is it so hard to believe ??
You Probably know more than i do so enlightme.........

What I have :

- Performance chip
- K&N filter with a Double air intake custom made.
- Complete exahust system from headers
- Performance Throttle body
- Performance fuel pressure reg.
- Sparks , wires

And let me tell you that the car is not even close to what he used to be.....

But i'm open to get some advice , so drop me some lines whenever you can........

See ya.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry if it came off harsh, certainly not intended... just curious... and there are 8v-na motors out there that produce this much power, however they are very rare.

Okay, "they" being the shop/owner you purchased from? Ask them for the sheets... if they had it dyno'd at a place nearby, it should remain in their database for ~2 years or more (varies). Falsifying statements for sale purposes is against the law, though you'd have a hard time proving/winning such a case in court. Just one of my pet peeves that folks will use ignorance as a reason to *extend* the truth about a product to the buyer. [gotta stop watching those infomercials... ]

The mods you have listed are pretty much the standard in bolt-ons. Without any internal changes to the compression or cam profile, I can't see how an 8v na motor could make 202 at the wheels (more than a stock 951, S2, or 968... and nearly as much as the 951S at 250BHP or ~213RWHP). I just had my 2.7 liter car dyno'd at 143HP and 158TQ (at the wheels, dynojet, SAE corrected)... this is a significant improvement over stock, and even more so over the standard 2.5 liter motor (124RWHP). I have similar bolt-on mods (not including the higher beginning HP of the 2.7): K&N filter, Autothority chip, Bursch header, 2.5" custom exhaust (straight-thru, no-cat), AC delete, MSD ignition and coil, 8mm wires, Silver plugs, Redline 10W30 oil, and on 94 octane gas. My electricals and fuel system are in tip-top shape, Air/Fuel as measured during dyno was spot-on (~13.5), fuel-pressure is rock solid at high RPM's (~35psi), injector duty cycle within range (~87% at 5250RPM), engine has ~50k miles on it, wheels and tires were just lighter than stock. This should give a good idea of what these engines are capable of in terms of bolt-ons. There might be a couple additional HP to pull out with more dyno-tuning and a tweak of the chip's fuel tables, but not much. To get more power from here, it all goes internal, alternative engine-management, or forced induction... all things disallowed because my car is built to club race in SCCA ITS class.

The TB and AFPR are useful products, but coupled with a good free-flow exhaust, is possibly overpowering even the performance chip (what brand?). You could have a custom one burned... loosely based on your list of mods, though it would be better if you could find an outfit to dyno test-n-burn.

Good Luck!

Skip

Quick Reply: New to the 944 deal