944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Joe B
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Check Engine Light

Question about a recently occurring problem. 91 S2. In the past couple of weeks, about 2 out of every 5 times I start the car...the check engine light stays on and the idle is erratic, as though a cylinder isn't firing. Sometimes the light goes off after 10-15 seconds of idling. Sometimes throttle application will strighten it out. Sometimes it will go off if I restart. Sometimes even a restart won't help. Other times it will stay on and after driving away will go out a minute or 2 later. The engine is not generating full power during this time, but seems to return to normal when the light extinguishes. Once, or twice, I've had the light come on, at idle, while sitting at a redlight. Even had the car die on me once. It has happened when the car is cold, and when the car is hot. Any ideas on where I should start?
Thanks,

Joe
Old 03-18-2002, 11:52 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suggest that you post this to the 944S2 E-mail list. Many of these guys are very technical. I always post to this list when I have a major technical question.

You have to sign up for it by doing the following:

Select “Go To The Main Rennlist Web Site” link located on the bottom left side of the page.

Select “E-Mail Lists from the “Jump” drop-down located on the upper right hand of the page.

Select “Open E-mail Lists”

When filling out the information, choose “944S2” under “Subscriptions and Options”

I am signed up in Digest Mode, which means that I get one E-mail with all of the E-mails from the previous day.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:03 AM
Joe B
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Michael!

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light