944 potential owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Curry
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 potential owner

Hello!

So I've been on the hunt for a new daily driver. I gave my wife my 2002 Subaru WRX (auto)

I was leaning towards an older car and something that is possibly 5spd. So being a former Toyota/Lexus guy I started looking at 1980's corollas, MR2's and supras. Found a few but didn't take the plunge just yet.

The other day my sisters boyfriend called me and said he has a Porsche 944 sitting in his driveway and asked me if I wanted it.

I don't have the exact model, he will text me that later but he said it was a 1986 non turbo and a special edition and something about wide body?

So whats the catch?

The car does need some work but I have no issues doing the work i have worked on tons of cars, but this would be my first Porsche. I mostly work on Lexus/Toyota/Subaru.

He said it needs a water pump and im assuming rollers and belts will need to get done as well as oil and other basics.

The only downer was its an auto =( but I live in NYC im sure ill be thanking myself later and if I want the 5speed I can always swap one?

How do these things do on gas?

Are there other potential issues i should look for?

How expensive are parts?

I'm gonna continue reading and searching but if you guys want to throw bits of info my way that would be great =)

Again I will post exact model details later in the day or tomorrow.

Thank you!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:12 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

First of all, welcome!

Bookmark this site: www.clarks-garage.com

If its an 1986 non-turbo, there aren't many options. It's just that! Also known as a 944 NA (Normally aspirated), or in the UK a 944 Lux I think.

There is no such thing as a special widebody for 1986. The wider fenders are new for the 1982 944 (wider than the previous 924). The only special edition offered that year is a Rothmans Cup car - essentially a factory racecar version for a series in the US.

Since your car is an auto - it is extremely unlikely it is any sort of special edition. That said, it may have special options, some of the rarer ones include a sunroof delete, full leather, etc.

You'll want to check or change the timing belt, flush all fluids, etc, aside from any other maintenance this particular car needs.

You can swap in a manual but I've read you need to get into the pedal box and make some modifications, I think including cutting, welding, and then painting. And that isn't the easiest place to access.

They do very well on gas, being as how its a four cylinder. Expect high twenties to low thirties depending.

Parts are expensive if you go to the dealer. There are bargains to be had on this forum and on PelicanParts, also craigslist, etc. etc. So look on the forums and craigslist first for parts.

Other issues - timing belt is the most important. Sounds like you're replacing the water pump anyway.

All be safe, have a good one!

Cheers
Old 04-21-2012, 02:30 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome.

You need to do a whole lot more reading on this site before you buy one of these cars. I have an 86 NA and I love the thing but its like trying to operate an aging supermodel, very very expensive and it demands a LOT from you in time and money. The rewards are there (?) but read the previous sentence again. Oh, if you don't do the water pump, timing belt and rollers yourself, figure on $2500. If you don't do them at all, consider the head replacement as well as the above for about another grand. Plan to do that EVERY 40,000 miles. These cars are more of a hobby than a d.d., although many on here will dispute that. Mine is a summer car only but many others are driven all (shudder) year long.

Because these cars are maintenance-heavy and the cost of parts is so high, don't pay too much.

I would also be wary of an automatic car as well. That is my opinion and also very controversial...

Quick Reply: 944 potential owner