944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Timing Belt/Pan Gasket Replace:

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:29 PM
snoel
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt/Pan Gasket Replace:

Just acquired an 1989 944 S2. Records show that belt was adjusted 40k miles ago and that cam tensioner "cap" was replaced at the same time. I have been quoted the following:

1. $1,300 for Balance shaft belt, timing belt, water pump, seals and fluid.
2. $800 for oil pan gasket.
3. $800 for cam chain tensioner.
4. $233 for valve cover gasket.

All prices include parts and labor. Questions:

1. Water pump was replaced 40k ago as well. If not leaking or showing signs of wear, should it be replaced? I am thinking with doing the balance shaft, timing belt and front seals only, and leaving the water pump alone.
2. Are these reasonable prices? $1,300 for all belts and water pump seems high.
3. Is just replacing the cam tensioner cap ok, or should the entire assembly be replaced?
4. I know the pan gasket is a bear to replace. It does not leak profusly, but empties about 1/4 to 1/2 a quart every month (according to previous owner), so I estimate it might be a bit more.

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shop rates are killing you, Try '944Online.com' for parts, and a small Euro shop for repair work. Tensioner pads will kill a S2 so do now. Water pump is in with the belts so do at the same time and pay once for no worries. Let it leak till you read up on the car and learn the other stuff that needs doing due to mileage and age. 'ClarksGarage.com' for good advice.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

1. Yes, definitely replace the WP as well. They typically last 75k miles, so if you wait until the next belt change, you will either be changing your belts sooner than expected (because the WP failed), or you might even not notice until your engine overheats, or the pump seizes and rips your timing belt.

2. $1300 seems in the ballpark, but obviously shop around for competitive prices. Don't let a cheapo shop do the work though.

3. I think usually on S2s you want to replace the whole tensioner. What's the mileage on the engine?

4. Oil loss can be due to other things as well. One infamous leak spot is the rear cap of the lower balance shaft housing. It's a round metal plug / cap on the lower passenger side of the engine, in the back, right by the exhaust manifold. Replacing the o-ring here is a PITA! But most people just clean the area and smear gray silicone over the round edge and it stops leaking.

Also, make sure all your oil pan bolts are screwed in all the way. The torque spec is only 6 ftlbs so don't over tighten. But I have seen them back out a few times, causing leaks.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invest in a small Torque Wrench that goes down to 6 ft lbs if you are not sure how it feels. A small price to pay now. There are all kinds of posts showing how to change out the Cam Chain Tensioner Pads with pictures to help you DIY and save some money.

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/for...num=1209471555

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 10-10-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: Timing Belt/Pan Gasket Replace: