Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

'84 944 with rattle - wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 PM
300guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '84 944 with rattle - wheel bearing?

my 944 is making a fairly serious rattle sound after sitting for about 1 year. Its been driven about 500 miles since and works just great besides the rattle sound.

The rattle is present while driving in a straight line and gets louder when turning to the right. It sounded like it was coming from the rear so I replaced the rear driver's side bearing - this did not fix the problem and the rattle sounds exactly the same.

Out of all the wheels, the front driver's side appears to have the most play during the 12 and 6 o'clock test to check for play.

The rear passenger side caliper appears to be sticking/dragging. - could this be the source of the rattle?

Any ideas? is there a test to definitively determine that its the front bearing? Could it be the passenger rear even though it gets quieter when you apply load from that side (turn towards the left).

Thanks for any help... needless to say its frustrating to have the same problem after replacing a wheel bearing that I expected to solve the problem.

Quick Reply: '84 944 with rattle - wheel bearing?