944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944S engine options

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM
cudadreams
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944S engine options

I have an '87 944s that has a failing tensioner shoe. I caught it before it failed completely, but not soon enough to prevent all damage. The heat from the chain dragging on the steal shoe caused a couple of sprocket teeth to fail. At this point, I believe I can replace the cams, chain, chain tensioner, Belt and and belt tensioner and could be up and running again. However, that's looking like close to $2k in parts for an engine with 152,000 on it and probably some other issues that I haven't discovered yet. I'd like to just get this to a daily driver.

I'm considering pulling the S engine and replacing with an N/A. I'm having trouble finding info on compatibility. I've found one thread that says the S harness will work with an N/A engine but not vice versa. Is the block common between the N/A and S? I'll assume I want the DME from the N/A car as well.

What about putting an 8v head on the 16v block? Is this another option?

I can do the wrenching myself and enjoy it so this isn't completely an economic issue as I could easily buy another decent example for not much more. The interior is in great shape, the body and paint are good. I have to replace the windshield because I dropped a wrench on it from the attic.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

No, the 8 valve will not fit on the S engine.
No, the wiring harness will not work either way.
No, the intake is different.
No, the exhaust is different.
No, the block is not common.
No, the pistons are different.

You should be able to have the camshafts repaired, replace the tensioner and chain, and be up and running (if you do the work yourself) for about $600.

The windshield is more, but not engine related.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 PM
cudadreams
2nd Gear

Default Where to get cams repaired?

I figured a head swap wasn't going to be possible, but you never know until you ask or try.

Any suggestions on who/where to have the cams repaired? Years ago I found a place near Chicago, but they wanted about 300 or so just to repair the sprockets, with 150k on the engine the cam lobes themselves are showing signs of wear. I looked at new cams but a set was running around 1,400.

Seems I would be better off parting this out or selling outright.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 AM
running_cold924
Racer

i have a good tensioner and intake cam, just pm me if interested
Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 AM
TF
Instructor

Try RS BARN

Quick Reply: 944S engine options