944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Speedometer issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:43 PM
holycow5654
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer issues

Hey all, having problems with my speedometer and hoping someone here can help.

it worked fine since I got it. Then I swapped out the transaxle. Worked fine for a little bit after that, then began acting up after 30 mins. Started bouncing all around. Next day same story after 15 min. After a few more days it'd start bouncing around as soon as I started the car. I bought a new speedometer sensor and swapped that out. Now the speedometer doesn't move at all. I have also tried changing the little plastic gear that drives the speedometer sensor(no idea what its called). If you turn the the sensor with a drill, the speedometer moves up to about 10mph.

any suggestions on what to check next?

*EDIT* the car is a 85.5 944 N/A
Old 07-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Equilibria
Advanced

Had the same problem with my 85.5, what I found was that the actual connector on the speedo sender on the transmission was coming loose. What I suggest is taking the sender off, cleaning the contacts, and then try and clean the contacts on the plug as well. Make sure the little metal clip is on the plug so its holding it in securely. Turned out I didn't have a clip so I 'borrowed' it from another plug in the engine bay.

What happens is that the pins on the plug somehow spread apart, which causes intermitten connection (or no connection) and then you get a bouncing speedo.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 PM
holycow5654
8th Gear

Thanks for your help. Turned out the middle pin on the connector had worked its way loose. popped it back in place and now I have a working speedo

Quick Reply: Speedometer issues