944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

brake lights do not work

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default brake lights do not work

My third light works but not the side brake lights. That tells me the switch on the pedal is fine. One thing I am not sure about is if the third brake light also acts as a tail light. It does stay on when driving lights are on and then gets brighter when brake pedal is pushed. Should it be on all the time or could this be the short that is causing me problems. I am assuming that the signal for the brake lights and third brake light do get to the rear of the car by the same wires. If that is correct my guess is I should be looking for a short just ahead of the drivers rear wheel. Possibly where the third brake light and the regular brake lights junction. I also have no cruise control but I believe I found that problem. The clutch pedal switch was bad. I have no way to test it untill spring but I am sure that the switch being defective would cause the CC to not work. Any ideas on the brake lights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi rgs944, you may just have two blown stop globes ?, if you are not sure you can take out one of the stop globes and give it a seperate 12v and earth to see if it illuminates , you will be amazed how many Porsche's we see with both main stop globes blown , because if both stop globes are the same age then with a lot of sitting at traffic lights ,"city driving" (foot on the brake the whole time stationary)its only a matter of time when they both have to expire.

Regards
BB
Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need those damm lights J/K. Yeahh but thats awkward two bulbs at the same time. Check if you got voltage at the sockets if you do then it's the bulbs. If you have third light that means the switch is good.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 AM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default here's a hint

Sounds like you do have some kind of short. If the third brake light is on any time other than when you're pressing the brake pedal then there is a problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 AM
rgs944
Drifting

I have checked and made sure it was not the bulbs. I also used a test light in the socket and still no power. I also do think it is the pedal switch either. Is there a seperate componant called a lamp module box somewhere? I was reading in the 928 forum and they were talking about it. I also believe it still could be a cruise control problem yet. Obviously the cruise needs to work off the same signal in the wiring somewhere along the line.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

What year type 944 ?
Regards
BB
Old 01-09-2010, 11:05 AM
rgs944
Drifting

I guess I did not clarify in this forum that it is a 968. I also have a 87 944 in the garage and things appear to be very similiar with the wiring setup. I have even tried changing the brake pedal switch from one car to the other but that did not help. I am going to inspect the cc control module and if they have the same part # I might try switching them out.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Here is my solution, I know it is not the right way to do it buy I am out of ideas. I figured out that the third brake light must come back on a seperate wire from the regular tail brake lights. I do not know why they would but that is the way I see it. I found out that my third brake light was coming on due to a short in the wiper. Unplugged it, do not need a wiper any way. Now I am going to splice into the third brake light wire and run that to the tail light brake wires. It will work but obviously much much smarter people than me did it different when they designed so I hope it does not cause any further problems.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM
rgs944
Drifting

All lights now work, on to the next project which is getting my hood struts fixed.

Quick Reply: brake lights do not work